• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Nice, I had to restrain myself from buying/building another rifle from PSA, but I did pick up a first gen Vortex Strikefire from them for $89. Their deals are insane.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Thanks, y'all... For an optic, I am planning to run an extra MAGPUL MBUS rear sight that I have in my parts bin. Probably won't stick a scope/red dot on it at all and just use iron sights for this plinker.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I bought one of PSA's rifle kits for $399 plus $17 shipping. Picked up an Anderson stripped lower from Buds for about $52.50 shipped. Interesting to see how it all comes together. Only thing I'm concerned with is the barrel is a stainless 1 in 7" twist. Never had any experience with that much twist.

Matt

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    With the money I saved on my PSA built AR, I bought a thousand rounds of 5.56. I've never shot it at more than 45 yards, but I hit a beer bottle cap at 22 yards with it on iron sights. Good enough for a fighting rifle IMO. FYI, the PTAC uppers aren't chrome lined. I see no issue with this, since corrosive 5.56 is damn near non existent. I've heard rumors that no chrome lining actually causes the rifling to grab the bullet more aggressively thus making it more accurate but have no idea if that is true or not.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    With the money I saved on my PSA built AR, I bought a thousand rounds of 5.56. I've never shot it at more than 45 yards, but I hit a beer bottle cap at 22 yards with it on iron sights. Good enough for a fighting rifle IMO. FYI, the PTAC uppers aren't chrome lined. I see no issue with this, since corrosive 5.56 is damn near non existent. I've heard rumors that no chrome lining actually causes the rifling to grab the bullet more aggressively thus making it more accurate but have no idea if that is true or not.
    Chrome lining will be important if your going to shoot thousands of rounds. The barrel will wear out faster. If your not a big shooter the it shouldn't be an issue in your lifetime.

ti the guy above asking about 1/7 twist: this is the optimal twist rate. You can run low grain bukkets all the way up to the heavy stuff. You'll be fine

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I know chrome lining adds duability, but I doubt not having it will ever effect me. When the PSA brand is on sale, its chrome lined and usually only 50-60 $ more.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Finally got all the pieces I ordered for this build. Thought you all might want to see what come of it.

I am going to upgrade to a quad rail and add a Bushnell TRS-25 Hi-Rise optic and MBUS

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I had the day off so I ran over to Parabellum about 11am to test out my Anderson lower/PSA 1:7" rifle kit.
    The only failures I had was that a few times the bolt didn't lock back on last round.
    To be honest, I don't know what ammo I was using to start with. I know it was Federal and I'm guessing it was the bulk stuff that Walmart sells for $40/100rds. It took several groups to get on the bullseye, making educated guesses on sight adjustments. BTW, I used a Matech rear sight and a KNS crosshair front sight. Once on the bullseye, I was getting about 1.5" groups of 5 shots. This was offhand at 25yds. That is about as good as I can do with any rifle so I'm happy with it so far. Now I need to get down to Atterbury and stretch it out a bit on the bench.
    I put about 100 rds through it today. The last 20 or so I used some of the cheap Tula .223. I was not able to maintain group size and POI was about 2" low compared to the other ammo. Not sure why it would do this as I've shot a lot of it in my Stag with virtually no difference to other ammo brands. I'll try it again next time I go to the range.
    At this point, I'm pretty happy with what I got for the money. I like the KNS crosshair front sight and the Matech rear works well but I have to get to a much longer range to verify its ranging adjustments.

Didnt intend to muddy up the OP's thread with my build. Hope nobody is too upset over it.

Matt

Top Bottom