• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    He has been asking to go to the range and today we headed up.

Here he is decked out in his ear and eye pro. Stylish, no?

ro_range1.jpg

I set him up with a 10/22, but it's still too large for him. I pulled over a rifle stand to allow him to rest the rifle so he didn't have to hold it and could concentrate on shooting. He tucked the stock under his arm and somehow still managed to get his eye behind the scope and get some hits on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I'm way less worried about his hits than his safety and gun handling at this point. Still, it's too fun to watch him hit what he's aiming at. We only sent around 60 rounds total down range, but had a blast.

ro_range2.jpg

I've already bought him a youth size .22 bolt gun, but I've been saving it for his 5th birthday. I'm fighting the urge to give it to him early.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    For my fifth birthday dad bought me an Ithaca .22 youth saddle rifle. Over the years I have loaned it to several friends to teach their kids to shoot. It just came back to me again last week and is ready to be loaned again. Thanks for posting the pick of your son shooting. It brings back memories of my first shooting sessions and that smell of burnt gun powder and Hoppes No. 9.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For my fifth birthday dad bought me an Ithaca .22 youth saddle rifle. Over the years I have loaned it to several friends to teach their kids to shoot. It just came back to me again last week and is ready to be loaned again. Thanks for posting the pick of your son shooting. It brings back memories of my first shooting sessions and that shell of burnt gun powder and Hoppes No. 9.

thats the same rifle my father got me for my first gun

its a blast taking kids shooting

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    My boy is a 2 1/2 year old destructive force of nature. The last thing on my mind right now is hooking him up with firearms! I hope that by the time he's 7 or 8 he's toned down the mayhem to the point I can begin that journey. Till then I'm just trying to survive and keep the house intact.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Shay, have you considered the Marlin 15Y, the Savage Cub or the CZ 452 Scout?

My nephews all have those. I believe any one of them would be ideal for your son.

Here's a happy youngster with a Savage Cub:

savage_cub.jpg

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Nice choice on the starter gun Shay and MEGA KUDOS on getting him out to the range. I remember my first gun...used to clean it at least three times a week even though I didn't get to shoot that often.

Top Bottom