• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Today I fired the M&P15 the first time. Glad to let you all know this is a keeper. No scope on, just the iron sights it comes with, I was able to hit the bulleye dead center with 3 rounds. The rest of the 100 most of the holes are within inside the 8 inches black area. And many were around the dead center red bulleye. I couldn't even get that close with the Sig with everything I put on it. :ar15:

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    good shootin. sw make a solid ar15. i havent owned one yet but my freinds have them and rave about them.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I think Rogers of the Gunsite carbine course says something along the lines that the 512 will be a great optic when they fix some of the little things with it. Battery life isn't coming close to the newer aimpoints and it has some design flaws in terms of how the batteries are oriented inside the casing and such. But, it's a great optic for the most part, I hear. S&W makes a great AR. Shoot it up!

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    When I use the Eotech, do I flip the front sight down just to use the dot or whatever the 512 has? Oh, also, where do I mount it? Near the front or the rear ?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Today I fired the M&P15 the first time. Glad to let you all know this is a keeper.

Good deal! S&W makes solid carbines; it should serve you well.

When I use the Eotech, do I flip the front sight down just to use the dot or whatever the 512 has? Oh, also, where do I mount it? Near the front or the rear ?

There are conflicting schools of thought, but my inclination and training has been to leave the front sight deployed full-time, unless you are running a magnified optic. Optimally, a red-dot sight should be mounted as far forward on the flat-top as you can get it.

I think Rogers of the Gunsite carbine course

Who?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    With the front sight up, do I use the 512 as the rear sight and aim with the front sight?

Nope, you aim with the dot, ignoring the front sight entirely. If the dot goes out, you can use the sight window itself as an improvised ghost ring for close-range shooting (i.e. roughly center the front sight in the window and pull the trigger), until you can deploy the rear sight.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Congratulations on the M&P 15. It's a solid product from a solid company.

I broke mine in at the range just last week. After 120 rounds, I was impressed.
    I don't think I'll be adding any aftermarket sights, I plan on using it as a home defense weapon at fairly close distances.
    P.S. My wife shot it for the first time & really enjoyed it also.

Enjoy your new purchase and try not to acquire all the gadgets and gizmos that attach to it.....at least not all at once.;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With the front sight up, do I use the 512 as the rear sight and aim with the front sight?

No. See, THAT is the magic of red dot sights! Just put the single dot (with a ring on the EOTech) where you want your bullet to go and pull the trigger (wow, I made that sound simple eh?). No lining up two points anymore. Even if your eyes aren't in the same place each time, or you move your head around, the dot will always be your point of impact-- if you can see the dot, you can make the shot.

I swear, its magic.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't think I need to worry about gunfight with the M&P, LOL No need to get ready to use the iron sights if the batteries die or what. Thank for everyone opinions. Hopefully it would do what it should do. Well, one more question, do I need to zero it first like any optic?

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    i love mine got it at the 1500 and used the excuse that im building up my 401G. The 401G didnt make the lady laugh but she likes to fire it too! and now comes the fun part of adding all the goodies to it!!

Last edited:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Good deal! S&W makes solid carbines; it should serve you well.

There are conflicting schools of thought, but my inclination and training has been to leave the front sight deployed full-time, unless you are running a magnified optic. Optimally, a red-dot sight should be mounted as far forward on the flat-top as you can get it.

Who?

Haha, sorry, I left out Pat. Pat Rogers. I was reading something recently where he said that the 512 will be a solid optic. It just has some things that bug him.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Pics Please!

here is mine

mic001-1.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Haha, sorry, I left out Pat. Pat Rogers. I was reading something recently where he said that the 512 will be a solid optic. It just has some things that bug him.

Pat hasn't been affiliated with Gunsite for several years now. And if you read complimentary things about EOTechs coming from him, chances are it was an old article. :):

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    hmmm... I'm pretty sure it was a newer article. I may have just gotten it mixed up or they printed an older article. It wasn't online. Now you got me wondering! :)

Top Bottom