• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Shot this boy on November 21, 2009. My first biggun.

picture.php

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks, fellas. The story is pretty straightforward. I saw this fella about 100 yards away on the opening day of shotgun season, but he was chasing hard and I didn't get a shot. I figured out where he was entering the property and set up a stand about 50 yards off the spot. The day I shot him, the wind was all wrong for that stand, so I took a portable chair and set up behind a fallen tree where the wind was more favorable. As I was standing up to go in for lunch, I saw the tops of his antlers as he walked down a gully 60 yards or so away. He came up out of the gully quartering towards me. He was walking steady, but not too fast. I put the front sight on his shoulder and squeezed off a shot when he was about 40 yards out. His front leg buckled when the slug hit his shoulder, but he stayed up and ran. I resumed fire and hit him twice more. He stayed up and kept running and disappeared into some thick underbrush.

Terrified I had lost him, I scanned through the underbrush with my binoculars. I saw three vertical steam vents about 30 yards out, and followed them down to something large and brown. Took me a second to realize the steam was coming out of the holes in my buck. And that's all she wrote.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom