• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    My uncle, a Vietnam vet, gave me something today I have been wanting for a long time.

I'm as giddy as a school girl!

It's a Springfield, with a serial number of 1009XXX, indicating November-December 1942 year of manufacture according to this website.

M1 Garand Serial Numbers

The furniture is a little beat up and the finish isn't pretty. I haven't field stripped it yet, as I am of the M16A1/A2 generation...and I don't know how...but I'll learn.

I don't know what the barrel or bore looks like yet, but the exterior metal surfaces have a very nice parkerized finish with no rust or pitting.

It seems to function OK so far as I can tell with my limited knowledge. I can work the bolt, and it goes click when I pull the trigger.

I plan on downloading and printing the Garand manual and learning all I can about this battle rifle. I will also take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith to make sure it is in good working order, because I will be shooting it!

I'm so happy I just might crap the bed tonight.

Last edited:

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    That's just awesome! I'm glad to hear that you plan on shooting it. Where did / when did your uncle get it?

He said he bought it 15 years ago from a gun store.

I just pulled the trigger group out. It is numbered D28210-12-SA...I'm assuming an authentic Springfield Armory assembly. It looks like brand new. Very little wear and is very stiff. Had to lube it a little to get the safety to function. Looks good to me!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    NICEEE tell your Uncle thanks for 2 things,,, one for the rifle,, and two for serving our country. I salute him.

This!! Very awesome indeed.

Also, check the S/N...you might have an extra 0 in your OP.

Year/Month
    Serial # at end of Month

January
    February
    March
    April
    May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    BTW...this will be me in few years.

gran-torino.jpg

Get off my lawn.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Upon further field stripping and inspection, the barreled receiver group looks just as good. Entire mechanism appears to be US Govt. issue, with no phony foreign/aftermarket parts. Very little wear. I'd say this rifle was gone through and refurbished at least once by a military armorer, and fired very little.

p3030008.th.jpg

Next chance I get, I will pull the bolt and receiver group apart and inspect the bore and barrel lining. I expect it all to be in good shape as well.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I researched some proof marks on the Garand stock, and they indicate that the stock was made somewhere from June 1953 to June 1957. During that time frame, Springfield made rifles with serial numbers between 4,320,000 to 6,099,905.

garandstockproofstamps.jpg

Stamps used to make the proof marks

If you remember, my rifle's serial number is 1,009,XXX...indicating that the wood and the upper receiver are not original. This is more common than not, seeing as these rifles were retrofitted and repaired, usually more than once, during their service life.

Even though these facts probably lessen the value of my rifle, it doesn't matter to me, but it would to a snot nosed and snobby elite Garand collector geek...and there are a lot of those types of people out there these days. ;)

Top Bottom