• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I ordered a dedicated 22lr upper for my AR, but got an e-mail saying they were out of stock. I decided that I'd order one of the cheap ($129) 22lr conversion bolts that comes with a black dog x-form magazine so I could shoot my AR at the range.

Well, it arrived today. I sprayed it with a little RemOil, swapped it into my new AR, grabbed 200 rounds of 22lr, and headed to the range.

IMG_8576.jpg

I used the first 25 round mag to get it zeroed. Seeing as how it's a weaker round, I had to crank up the rear sight quite a bit, which I expected. But once it was fine tuned I was really surprised at how accurate it is. It's not a tack driver, but a 2-3" group at 30 yards off hand, with a round too small for the barrel is nothing to sneeze at when I only really bought this for fun.

5CF07A12-6CB3-4788-906E-3EA89B5880C8.jpg

I love the Black Dog mags, because they hold the bolt open on the last shot. On the CMMG kits, the mags they have don't do this, and it's a feature I can appreciate.

As far as FTF/FTE I never had any. But, once in every 2-3 magazines I would get a double feed. I'm thinking a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's not broken in yet (since the issue seems to be slowly going away), and it really doesn't bug me. Taking account of the fact that I'm firing super cheap ammo AT THE RANGE out of my new AR I'll take a few double feeds. I also didn't have a problem ejecting live rounds, like some other people have mentioned with this type of conversion.

My only problem was that I didn't order more magazines... a problem that I'll be rectifying this evening.

98311E20-92DE-47B6-B0BF-5E0AC11ACC07.jpg

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I'm guessing no one's brought one of these into the range yet. Because it took a minute of explaining, and showing him that I only had 22lr ammo before her gave me the paperwork to get in.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I polished the rail on the kit today, and ran another 300 rounds through it (Bulk pack remington this time). I had about 7 total incidences of double feed/failure to completely eject. I can really live with that. It gives me a chance to run malfunction drills. This is one of the best purchases I've made.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    You had much better luck than I did in the failure department. I wish I'd have taken the time to do a proper write up, but I was just too excited to just get out an shoot. Maybe once the new wears off. lol
    Like I said, I'm hoping once both the rifle, and the kit are broken in I'll have less failures. I'm starting to think that a lot has to do with the brand new magazine, too, because I get more double feeds than anything.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    Strictly is about retarded, I'm not surprised they gave you a hard time.
    I've heard a LOT of bad things about them. But, honestly I've never really had an issue with them. But then again, I just walk in, put my name on the list and pay for my bay when it's my time. I've had a few questions now and then, and they've been nothing but decent to me... they were even fairly nice to a dude with a walmart sack full of glocks asking if they could adjust the elevation on his sights. :rolleyes: I think they changed owners recently though

Only thing I heard that really caught me off guard was the guy (I'm assuming the owner) was trying to make a guy feel like a douche (or it seemed to me like he was) for asking about getting a potential SBR lower engraved. The sales person was like "Yeah, that's an OLD rule. You haven't needed to do that for like a DECADE!". Either he was giving him bad info, or something's changed that I'm not aware of.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've found I've had better luck with armscor high velocity. 22 shells.
    federal bulk does OK but the higher velocity just makes it function a little better in all my ARs.

Hunt and try out many brands and you'll find one that the kit and uppers really work well with.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    Once I fun through this 525 pack of 22 I'll start buying some smaller boxes to try and pin down one that works best.
    Thanks for the ammo tip, I'll try them out.
    One of my friends on another forum also told me that changing the hammer from the "stepped" one, to the more "rounded" one nearly eliminated all malfunctions with his conversion. I guess that'll be my next step.

Top Bottom