• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Runnin rull auto? You need to get that lower ingraved. Should say Auto, Full Auto or Rat-a-tat-tat

It's a little difficult labeling anything M16 that wasn't government issue. In my mind that's what defines the rifle. You can have a full auto civillian AR15 and it doesn't make it an M16, just as switching the trigger group out on a government issue M16 doesn't turn it into an AR15.

Very nice looking build btw
    well said!! its like a M9 vs. a 92. not the same thing

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Actually the terms M16 and M4 are trademarks of Colt and have nothing to do with the US government except that the government also uses the same terms under license from Colt for the US rifles.

Civilian Colt law enforcement rifles are sold as M4's and transfereable Colt rifles that have never belonged to the US governemnt are also correctly called and sold as M16 rifles.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I stand corrected. Question is, why do other companies make M16A2's if they are trademarked? I distinctly remember in basic, people were using rifles of all different brands. I heard heard a rumor that the only reason the Army uses all Colts now is because someone leaked their schematics and instead of getting sued we took them up as an exclusive supplier.. Anyone know the real downlow on this?

Also how did Colt end up with the M16 as their baby.. wasn't it created by Stoner?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    The army still contracts to several different manufacturers just like they always have, and in the army's eyes they are all designated as M16's in Army nomenclature. Colt just owns the M16 name.

I don't know all the in's and out's of why other companies are allowed to make clones now, I am sure it has to do with the time length they have been around.

Maybe someone with a background in manufacturing or pattent law can chime in?

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Actually the terms M16 and M4 are trademarks of Colt and have nothing to do with the US government except that the government also uses the same terms under license from Colt for the US rifles.

Civilian Colt law enforcement rifles are sold as M4's and transfereable Colt rifles that have never belonged to the US governemnt are also correctly called and sold as M16 rifles.

Thank you for the clarification. :yesway: But you're being a smart a$$ :D.

:rolleyes: May be I should shut up now since you're holding my valuable assets. :)

I took the online familiarization course/test the AF offers over the summer online (DOD/AF only) and they definitely where referring to the service rifles as M16A1 and M16A2, no other designation was used. Thread getting of track. Help :rolleyes:.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I took the online familiarization course/test the AF offers over the summer online (DOD/AF only) and they definitely where referring to the service rifles as M16A1 and M16A2, no other designation was used.

That's where it gets really tricky. The army has had the M16, M16A1, M16A2, M16A3, & M16A4 and each branch has had several different variants each time they change something on them. It gets confusing. I won't pretend to be an expert by any means.

Top Bottom