• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I was cleaning a couple big fixed blades after chopping some limbs around the property and realized I need to take a picture of my knives. I keep them all together for the most part in a box so it was just a matter of setting up the pic. I use every single one of my knives and prefer modern stylings to the older traditional styles which I grew up with.

My family owned and operated a bait and tackle store in Louisville KY for 40 years. My grandpa was an ffl dealer and an avid knife and gun collector. When I think about being instructed on how to care for my knives and educated about the great American knife companies it is depressing. I remember sitting on my grandpas couch and him showing me his Browning, Buck, Gerber and Case knives. He loved Puma knives as well which were his more collection pieces. The Buck, Gerber and Brownings were all knives he sold at the shop and would have used regularly, but the Pumas were mainly to look at.

It seems a shame that companies which I have grown up to know as American institutions as iconic as apple pie have shed their traditions for profit. I remember about six years ago approximately when I saw my first Gerber folder with a China on the blade. My first impulse was that I had been ripped off by a knife shop selling forged Gerber copies, really! A quick internet search revealed that yes, this Gerber I had purchased for what I felt was an outstanding price of $30 was actually made in China. I was so close to making a fool of myself in confronting the store owner about selling me a fake knife when I found the truth of its legitimate origins in China. I mean GERBER, Portland ORE! To see China on the blade made me an instant non Gerber supporter! One week later I was shopping at Walmart (the root cause of the issue) and saw Buck knives in blister packs made in China. I was disappointed to say the least.

Again this has a lot to do with the way I was raised. Knives, guns and fishing equipment have always been a central part of my family. I know my grandpa would be soo disappointed if he were alive today to see what the companies he held such respect for have chosen to do. I get that its just the way things are now, but for myself it will always feel wrong.

I now have my own knives. I have the Tops Steele Eagle 111A, Tops Condor Alert, Becker BK4 Machax, Becker BK11CSM San Mai, Cassel knives reverse tanto, Ontario M9 bayonet, Estwing double bit tomahawk, My original EDC a Buck 110, a Strider/Buck 882 Tarani folder, and my now EDC my DPX Hest 2.0 folder

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Nice knives. I know what you mean about them being made in China. Back when I was in high school I had a buck folder that I kept in my car. Someone stole it in the parking lot at school. A few years ago feeling nostalgic I was considering buying a new one just for old time sake....yeah..I dont think so. I guess it's possible to still buy some of the old ones slightly used.

Top Bottom