• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I do wish they made some light .357s, perhaps just a bit over .38 +P because then you don't foul the extra chamber area with .38s.
    What you want are Speer Gold Dot 135gr Short Barrels. They make them in .357 and .38+P, but the .357 version is pretty mild... chronographed at 1050fps out of my 2" 640. They have a very aggressive hollowpoint that's designed to expand at lower velocities, and use a low flash powder so you don't get blinded by giant fireballs when shooting in the dark. It's great ammo...the trick is finding it in stock.

Also, whatever ammo you pick make sure it hits to point of aim for your gun. With the wide range of .38 loads out there and a fixed-sight gun, that can sometimes take some experimentation.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have had lots of J frames come thru the shop for trigger work or repairs and I HATE when a model 60 3" come in as it makes me want one. It take a couple on months to get it out of my system.
    The 60 shoots a lot better than the airweights but is heavier and doesn't carry as nice but still my favorite J frame by far.
    Most 3" J frames have a adjustable rear sight also or at least the ones that I remember coming in have had them.

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    My two cents. I've been carrying snub revolvers on and off for 20+ years, usually as ankle backup guns or winter jacket pocket carry.

Having foolishly fired a cylinder's worth of 125gr .357s through a 340, I would never, ever, ever do that again, or suggest to anyone else try the same.

There have been dozens of studies showing that .38 Special ammunition doesn't expand worth a poop out of 2" barrels, so most of the guys I know who are no BS revolver experts (most of whom have used them in harm's way) carry and recommend 148gr LWCs to get adequate penetration, nice "sharp" cutting edges, great accuracy, and the least possible recoil.

I'm currently down to a single snubby, and it's loaded with 148gr Gold Medal Match. My speedloaders have 115gr Critical Defense in them, because they load into the cylinders much more smoothly than a full WC.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My two cents. I've been carrying snub revolvers on and off for 20+ years, usually as ankle backup guns or winter jacket pocket carry.

Having foolishly fired a cylinder's worth of 125gr .357s through a 340, I would never, ever, ever do that again, or suggest to anyone else try the same.

There have been dozens of studies showing that .38 Special ammunition doesn't expand worth a poop out of 2" barrels, so most of the guys I know who are no BS revolver experts (most of whom have used them in harm's way) carry and recommend 148gr LWCs to get adequate penetration, nice "sharp" cutting edges, great accuracy, and the least possible recoil.

I'm currently down to a single snubby, and it's loaded with 148gr Gold Medal Match. My speedloaders have 115gr Critical Defense in them, because they load into the cylinders much more smoothly than a full WC.
    My Magtech full wadcutters are 158 grain. I also have some DoubleTap 148 grain full wadcutters.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Oops, no want .22 LR J-frame, but maybe for range toy.
    I also have the 63-5 3" in .22LR (bottom right). It's actually an incredibly practical gun, and I've killed more stuff with it than the .357s. Its my go-to for varmints around the property, and it's great for mice and chipmunks if you load it with rat shot. It's easy and unobtrusive to carry around while you're doing construction or yard work, so it's right there when you need it. I usually load it with 4 regular .22 rounds for bigger stuff like groundhogs and raccoons, and 4 rat shot for the little vermin.

As a further bonus, it's great on the range as a trainer for the 60, and they can share holsters. I'd highly recommend picking one up if you come across it.

53591345744_792f5366c2_b_d.jpg

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also have the 63-5 3" in .22LR (bottom right). It's actually an incredibly practical gun, and I've killed more stuff with it than the .357s. Its my go-to for varmints around the property, and it's great for mice and chipmunks if you load it with rat shot. It's easy and unobtrusive to carry around while you're doing construction or yard work, so it's right there when you need it. I usually load it with 4 regular .22 rounds for bigger stuff like groundhogs and raccoons, and 4 rat shot for the little vermin.

As a further bonus, it's great on the range as a trainer for the 60, and they can share holsters. I'd highly recommend picking one up if you come across it.
    You must be a pretty good shot. I would be hard pressed to kill a small varmint with a snubby. Besides, where I live I would be arrested for firing a gun in my yard.
    I especially like that one on the right in the middle!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Yeah, I live outside the city limits, so it's legal. The middle one on the right is a 31-1 in .32 S&W Long. I bought it used and abused and cleaned it up. It's a cool gun...very light recoil and it holds 6.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I live outside the city limits, so it's legal. The middle one on the right is a 31-1 in .32 S&W Long. I bought it used and abused and cleaned it up. It's a cool gun...very light recoil and it holds 6.
    Oh wow! A 31-1 in .32 S&W Long. I have the very same gun. Forgot about it until you mentioned it. Yep, and it is a J frame. I also picked up an I frame, a Terrier, early this year chambered in .38 S&W. Couldn't resist. Then I stopped frequenting gun shops and until the other day and, what do you know, I buy another gun.

Actually have another on hold at the other gun shop, a H&R topbreak .22 LR that some bozo sawed off the barrel to about 2-3 inches, so no sight, saw marks across the muzzle, but for $60 I figure it would be worth monkeying with.

So in the same day, hit two gun shops and buy two guns. That, you see, is why I have to avoid going to gun shops.

CB1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    92FSTech is spot on with the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain 357 mag load. It is manageable out of my 340pd and it has great expansion in my testing.
    20240928_221511.jpg

Another good load I have found is the new Federal Punch 38+P 120 grain jhp load. It expands nicely out of my snubs, and even more so in my 3" and 4" 38/357's.
    20240928_220431.jpg

I always liked the Golden Saber 125 grain +P load even with that fireball as it was always accurate and had impressive expansion. I have not been able to find any of that load on the shelf in a long time.

Don't forget about those 60-4 3" full lug 38 specials!
    20240928_220557.jpg
    Such a pleasure to shoot and carry nice on owb or shoulder holster. 38+P loads really come alive in that 3" barrel and help with bullet performance.

Last but not least, hardly any love is ever mentioned for the 43C 22lr. Yes mine was problematic when new, but after changing out a spring, has been flawless ever since with CCI minimags. I find the 43C to have great utility and it sees some type of use almost daily.
    20240928_220459.jpg

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ha I wouldnt! Does the trigger feel any different? My K6S and Python have the nicest triggers for sure but I seem to have lucked out with my 442. It is smooth but could smooth out some more
    Trigger feels a tad lighter than on the 442s, though all are listed on S&W's site as 10-pound triggers. Not too worried about carrying before trying it out as it should fire given the stick pen test result. Point of aim would be the issue, but chances are it will be close up with no time to get a sight picture anyway.

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    J-Frame size revolvers I am aware of:
    Taurus makes 3" in:
    605 .357 5-shot
    856 .38 6-shot

S&W makes 3" in:
    60 .357 5-shot

Kimber makes 3" in:
    K6s .357 6-shot, Fixed or adjustable sight
    K6sx .38 6-shot (I think)

Not sure about Ruger or Colt. Wouldn't take a Charter Arms if you paid me.
    I have a Ruger LCRx 3" that I actually got from a INGO trade, and have been carrying it ever since. I share the sentiment with many others here that more modern magazine fed carry guns can be...problematic? There's something inherently more comfortable with a DA/SA revolver for me, maybe because the LCRx is lighter than my Walther or Glock.

My boss was a police captain from Baltimore, he carried a K-frame and also J-frame as backup. Probably stacked more bodies than than my GWOT contemporaries. Not saying the "good enough for XYZ then good enough for me" fallacy, but he's probably onto something. His J-frame was an older Chief's Special that got all scratched up, apparently you quickly learn that a small revolver is great for grappling and rolling along the pavement.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom