• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Mustangbash.jpg

Mr88GT was taking her to work today to circ the fluids, etc. Someone turned left in front of him and he t-boned an Avalanche.

He's fine, but I'm not so sure about the car. Most of the front is superficial paint and ding damage. When I get a chance to upload some other photos, you can see the entire body was shift towards the passenger side and back towards the passenger compartment. The hood is destroyed as it basically ripped the hood right off the brackets. The passenger front fender was shoved up over the A-pillar about 2 inches and the force cracked the windshield. We haven't been able to get the hood up to see what internal damage might be. But he was able to start it and drive it off the tow truck into the garage, so there's hope.

Hopefully her insurance will pay for it. Otherwise, I'm partin' my baby out to the highest bidder. :crying:

Here are some more pics.

Passenger front/top quarter panel showing how hood was shoved toward rear and how car body was torqued to passenger side.
    IMG_20110810_083310.jpg

Some of that gap between hood and quarter panel is due to the frame twisting, not simply having the hood move upward and backward from the impact.
    IMG_20110810_083040.jpg

This gap between the front driver side quarter panel and the door also shows how the frame was twisted.
    IMG_20110810_082930.jpg

Passenger side panel shoved back into passenger door.
    IMG_20110810_082754.jpg

Quarter panel jammed up over A-pillar on passenger side and behind passenger door. Both doors are still in their original location, so it gives a good reference point to how much the rest of the front move.

IMG_20110810_081719.jpg

Passenger fender bent
    IMG_20110810_081729.jpg

Front end ugliness
    IMG_20110810_082822.jpg

And finally, the offending vehicle, a pox (not really, well, maybe a severe case of the stomach flu) on its driver.
    IMG_20110810_082849.jpg

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That'll buff out!

At least the hubby is OK. I'm not sure on the book value, so I hope the insurance doesn't total it. A good shop can fix about anything. You'll just have to decide if its worth it.

Bummer!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    OUCH!!!!! Sorry to hear your "baby" is banged up, but glad your "Baby" is OK. Bummer part is the unibody construction will be hard to straighten out without some major work. You didn't have subframe connectors on it by any chance, did you?

BTW: is that the offending Avalanche sitting next to her?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I hope you have better luck with insurance than I did. I had an 86 IROC with 34K miles on it and had someone do the same thing to me (turned in front of me) back in 2003. Her insurance wanted to give me $2400 for the car. It took over two years to get a dime out of them because I insisted the car was worth more than that. I finally got $8K out of them but that was after involving a lawyer and paying for my own medical bills from the accident.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Insurance on a special interest vehicle can be sticky. I've got a SWEEEET 89GT convertible that I've insured thru Hagertys and fortunately the one time I needed the insurance it worked like it's supposed to. The bro-in-law backed into the front of mine and did about $2500 damage, his insurance insisted on totaling the car so I called my insurance. They fixed the car then went after b.i.l.s insurance. His agent later called me and asked why I'd filed thru my coverage, "We could have worked something out". Tried that, didn't work, end of story.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Please tell me its not a notch! :(

It's not a notch.

OUCH!!!!! Sorry to hear your "baby" is banged up, but glad your "Baby" is OK. Bummer part is the unibody construction will be hard to straighten out without some major work. You didn't have subframe connectors on it by any chance, did you?

BTW: is that the offending Avalanche sitting next to her?

No, that's my Suburban. But I did get a pic of the Avalanche. I'll put up the rest of the pics after the boys get to bed tonight.

After looking at it more closely, I don't think it will straighten completely. The passenger parking light now sits about 3 inches outside the exterior line of the car. The impact didn't just push it backwards, it torqued it to the passenger side.

At this point, I think I'm just gonna let the insurance company total it and then buy it back on a salvaged or rebuilt title, or whatever it's called. Mr88GT's coupe can get some of the parts that it needs, and the rest will be sold off. So, if you know anybody that needs fox body panels, seats, etc., let me know. The door panels are aftermarket and kick-ass cool too. :xmad:

Two years of resto work down the drain. :noway:

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Sorry about your car. This is why I need to get collector insurance on my trans am. It's worth more than insurance would give me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom