• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

On some things I am very, very sloppy. Freely admitted.

On other things I have become extremely anal, like keeping track of gasoline expenditures.

I just thought I would share this to illustrate what our burden is for getting from Point A to Point B.

The car I drive is a 2002 Volvo S80, non turbo, either five (5) or six (6) cylinder depending on where I read (I am NO car guy.)

So, In 2010 I:

Drove 17,977 miles;
    Bought 756.184 Gallons of Premium gasoline;
    and Paid a total of $2,203.25 for the privilege of driving from A to B.

I also averaged 24.2361 Miles per Gallon.
    I averaged $2.91 per gallon over the entire year.

This is compared to 2009 where I:

Drove 17,914 miles (less than 1% less)
    Bought 747.56 Gallons of Premium gasoline (1.2% less)
    and Paid a total of $1,851.61 over the year (16% less)

The average price per gallon in 2009 was $2.483 over the entire year.

My mileage in 2009 was 24.7534.

As I purchased new tires earlier this year I don't see why my mileage has decreased...? :dunno:

In 2010 I did take a long road trip to Tulsa Oklahoma for the largest Gun Show in the United State.:rockwoot:

That show added 1,795.1 miles and I got a high of 28.7589 MPG on that trip. I will try to do this trip again in 2011. What's 1,800 miles and $204 in gas to see the largest collection of guns for sale in one place, I ask you???

If we think it doesn't add up, it does! I wish I had kept that $2,203.25 in my pocket, but then how would I have gotten from A to B?

Regards,

Doug

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Brings up interesting points regarding our dependance not on foriegn oil, but oil in general. Even if we convert to electric cars, there is going to be a HUGE jump in the price "per mile", probably similar to car ownership. Infrastructure upgrades, power demand, plant construction, all of these will be seen in the electricity we pay. So, in general, even those without electric cars will feel the "pinch". But then again, the sky probably will still be blue, and everyone will probably eventually get a car. Count on Solar being higher in cost due to demand outstripping supply of the metals needed for solar panel construction.

All in all, my question is how much of that money you paid or saved :D goes into taxes put upon us per gallon?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    All in all, my question is how much of that money you paid or saved :D goes into taxes put upon us per gallon?

Yep. I don't mind paying a fair price for the good or service I've contracted to receive. But adding 50% of the original cost (or more) just to appease some tree-huggers is not my idea of a good thing.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    burden a to b

To All,

I just thought I would share this to illustrate what our burden is for getting from Point A to Point B.

In 2010 I did take a long road trip to Tulsa Oklahoma for the largest Gun Show in the United State.:rockwoot:

Gas gets this high.....any driving that is not absolutely essential is eliminated. Telsa, Chevy, Nissan all have plug in 100% electrics. Some are able to get over 100 miles per charge. You cant touch one for under 30k.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Even at $30k they're still subsidized by the Federal Government.

A realistic price would be $50k or $60k without Uncle Sugar pulling money from one pocket to put it in another.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Yep. I don't mind paying a fair price for the good or service I've contracted to receive. But adding 50% of the original cost (or more) just to appease some tree-huggers is not my idea of a good thing.

That's my main gripe about "government mandated safety" or "emissions as mandated by the government". I have NO QUALMS installing emissions controls. I have no qualms having seat belts. But all of these have come at the expense of engine and fuel efficiency. For example: My old 1991 Honda CRX I used to drive. Even with the 4 Mikuni motorcycle carbs I had welded together into an intake manifold (no more fuel injection) and straight pipe installed (no cat, minimal muffling) for SCCA racing, it STILL made way under emissions as required by Ohio when I drove/raced there when the carbs were tuned right. It got 41 MPG on the highway, 37 in town. It was a safe vehicle, very light and handled snow very well. Flashforward, you cannot even get a car of same size to get that fuel economy anymore.

The Chevy Aveo gets CRAP for economy (for it's size). All the added crap, weight or what not drags our fuel economy down. Yet, they keep adding stupid restrictions, MANDATING them and then turn to the auto industry and tell them they aren't doing enough. If not for .gov restrictions that are unneccessary (or highly localized, like California, due to their geographical location), the industry has to go nuts trying to squeeze every mile they can, but still meet emissions/safety that is so lofty, neigh on impossible.

They have to make hybrid "SUVs" that make close to their non hybrid counterpart's economy to get their average fleet fuel economy up. That's government mandated progress. :xmad: Yet, I have to pay far out the butt to pay for an ineffective and overstretched government via fuel taxes, sufficiently quashing any innovation in this nation or economic growth via transportation. It's sickening. I would rather have a government flush with money and unobtrusive, having tons of money for crazy projects like going to Mars than some nanny .gov stuff that is inefficient and spends money on people that have done NOTHING to deserve it. :xmad: Sorry about that, rant off.. (BTW: Even though Mars is Red, it belongs to the US! :D USA! USA! USA! Let's get it before the Commies do!)

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    Just buy you a semi and go broke. It cost me $78,000 in fuel last year,for 1 truck.well,at least it didn't cost any money for the hemmoroids.lol
    i wonder how many people will think you are blowing smoke when they read this. but at an average 6-7 mpg assuming its not an automatic which would be worse, a national range of motor carrier fuel being 3.25-3.90 depending on region. so call it 6.5mpg at 3.58 a gallon is 141,600 miles. which is a lot but doable if its over the road driving.

my brother puts on 120-130000 doing regional and last year i did 90,000 doing local delivery

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I did the math once and determined that I pay $89 in taxes on a $60 fill up. Thus, a $60 fill up costs me about $150. How do I arrive at that figure?

Federal tax = 36%
    Social Security tax - 15%
    State tax - 3.4%
    Medicare tax - 3.26%
    Federal gas tax - $.18 per gallon
    State sales tax - 8%

It's enough to **** you off.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To All,

On some things I am very, very sloppy. Freely admitted.

On other things I have become extremely anal, like keeping track of gasoline expenditures.

The car I drive is a 2002 Volvo S80, non turbo, either five (5) or six (6) cylinder depending on where I read (I am NO car guy.)

So, In 2010 I:

Drove 17,977 miles;
    Bought 756.184 Gallons of Premium gasoline;
    and Paid a total of $2,203.25 for the privilege of driving from A to B.

I also averaged 24.2361 Miles per Gallon.
    I averaged $2.91 per gallon over the entire year.

This is compared to 2009 where I:

Drove 17,914 miles (less than 1% less)
    Bought 747.56 Gallons of Premium gasoline (1.2% less)
    and Paid a total of $1,851.61 over the year (16% less)

The average price per gallon in 2009 was $2.483 over the entire year.

My mileage in 2009 was 24.7534.

As I purchased new tires earlier this year I don't see why my mileage has decreased...? :dunno:

That show added 1,795.1 miles and I got a high of 28.7589 MPG on that trip. I will try to do this trip again in 2011. What's 1,800 miles and $204 in gas to see the largest collection of guns for sale in one place, I ask you???

If we think it doesn't add up, it does! I wish I had kept that $2,203.25 in my pocket, but then how would I have gotten from A to B?

Regards,

Doug

I wouldn't say anal. OCD yes! Anal no.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I did the math once and determined that I pay $89 in taxes on a $60 fill up. Thus, a $60 fill up costs me about $150. How do I arrive at that figure?

Federal tax = 36%
    Social Security tax - 15%
    State tax - 3.4%
    Medicare tax - 3.26%
    Federal gas tax - $.18 per gallon
    State sales tax - 8%

It's enough to **** you off.

Exactly. And when are you going to start paying your fair share?

It's that question that really, really grinds the knife in, when you fall in to a particular category whose taxes are their single biggest expense.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Past few days, both parties and Obama have been talking tax reform. While I hope it is real, my fear is it will just be a rearrangement of the current tax codes.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It'll be an additional Tax called a Value Added Tax, the only "companies" will pay.

That is the reform they're talking about.

Top Bottom