• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    My friend and I shot the other day and he was shooting his S&W 386 .357 snubby. He had some pretty hot rounds, 158gr @ 1300 fps. I shot a video and got some screen captures. Needless to say I don't stand near him!

picture.php

picture.php

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    How is his camera shooting a flame like that? Didn't realize a Canon or Nikon could do stuff like that. However, I have seen a hand cannon do that. Sorry, couldn't resist. I do like the screen capture, though. This is no photoshop, right? Because that second image is pretty crazy looking.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I have heard .357 doesn't have any advantage over a .38 round in a snubby. The barrel isn't long enough to use all that energy, so instead you just get a big fireball.

It's been awhile, but remember seeing a chart on velocity between the two rounds out of a snubby, and there wasn't much difference.

Any input on this?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have heard .357 doesn't have any advantage over a .38 round in a snubby. The barrel isn't long enough to use all that energy, so instead you just get a big fireball.

It's been awhile, but remember seeing a chart on velocity between the two rounds out of a snubby, and there wasn't much difference.

Any input on this?

you have heard incorrectly.

Speer Gold Dot 135gr .38 Special +p "Short Barrel" = 860FPS and 222ft lb @ the muzzle.

Speer Gold Dot 135gr .357Mag "Short Barrel" = 990FPS and 290ft lb @ the muzzle.

These numbers come from Speer's website. Easily looked up/verified.

That's a THIRTY PERCENT increase in energy at the muzzle.

Don't just go by "what you hear"... do some homework and look stuff up!

-J-

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Haven't taken any pics but there is a considerable flash from the 2" 357 LCR I have. I think we need an INGO test of the 38+P vs. 357 on a chorny and post the results.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    my snub is a 2 3/4 inch barrel, nobody ever publishes numbers for that length.

So I take the 2" number and the 3" number and split the diff.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012

Any input on this?

This is generally true, but like most general rules has exceptions. With the popularity of snubbies some companies do make a faster burn .357 that will see some gains out of the short barrel. Another poster has already put up an example.

Traditional .357 rounds were concocted with a 6-8" barrel being optimal, though, and with those what you get is more recoil and muzzle flash without much difference in fps. There's more variety in factory ammo now, though, and you can get rounds tuned for short barrel, tuned for longer (carbine) barrels, or traditional. Just make sure you know what you are getting and match it to what you want to run it through for optimal results.

Personally, I use .38 +p in my sub-2" barrel revolvers. I've tried .357 and found that it was slower for followup shots (especially off hand only) and the muzzle blast was distracting in low light conditions. I'd like to try a .45 moon clip revolver and see how it compares but no one I know has one and I'm not willing to drop the kind of cash it takes to buy one just to test it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is generally true, but like most general rules has exceptions. With the popularity of snubbies some companies do make a faster burn .357 that will see some gains out of the short barrel. Another poster has already put up an example.

Traditional .357 rounds were concocted with a 6-8" barrel being optimal, though, and with those what you get is more recoil and muzzle flash without much difference in fps. There's more variety in factory ammo now, though, and you can get rounds tuned for short barrel, tuned for longer (carbine) barrels, or traditional. Just make sure you know what you are getting and match it to what you want to run it through for optimal results.

Personally, I use .38 +p in my sub-2" barrel revolvers. I've tried .357 and found that it was slower for followup shots (especially off hand only) and the muzzle blast was distracting in low light conditions. I'd like to try a .45 moon clip revolver and see how it compares but no one I know has one and I'm not willing to drop the kind of cash it takes to buy one just to test it.

Hence my post earlier about using Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo - both out of a 2" barreled gun.

-J-

Top Bottom