• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Well I got home today from lunch and I got on INGO, And I saw a post for a Doublestar AR15 Optics Ready for sale. Well I offerd them 650 (Wasn't trying to lowball), They agreed. (It was either sell it to me for 650 or take it to a dealer) Luckily the the member was awsome and chose to wait for me to drive down to Gas City to do the transaction. I hopped in the car and picked up my first AR....

Well Then of course the fiance had some running around to do, All I could think about was assembling my New toy. Finally got home around 2AM, And I just got done assembling (not hard at all!) My New Doublestar AR! (not even fired yet!) Guess what i am doing tomorrow... Pics soon...

Here is a dumb question It says of course 5.56 ammo, but I was speaking to a local dealer and he recomended shooting .223 instead (said would make the gun last longer becuase of the diffrence in ammo)

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    You got a heck of a deal, I saw that in the classifieds. Also, the .223 and 5.56 are virtually the same(according to everything I have read and seen)

Nice work! I am in the process of putting a few together right now.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Congrats!!! :rockwoot:

There is an amount of pride knowing that your rifle was assembled by you when it goes bang for the first time...... and we will nee some pics and a range report!!!

Enjoy,

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You got a heck of a deal, I saw that in the classifieds. Also, the .223 and 5.56 are virtually the same(according to everything I have read and seen)

Nice work! I am in the process of putting a few together right now.
    NO, .223 and 5.56 are NOT the same!
    That said, If your rifle is marked 5.56 then you can fire EITHER the 5.56 or the .223
    IF, however, it is marked .223 do NOT put 5.56 through it!
    5.56 is a NATO round with a thicker neck wall and can cause problems with over-pressure in a weapon designed for .223

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    NO, .223 and 5.56 are NOT the same!
    That said, If your rifle is marked 5.56 then you can fire EITHER the 5.56 or the .223
    IF, however, it is marked .223 do NOT put 5.56 through it!
    5.56 is a NATO round with a thicker neck wall and can cause problems with over-pressure in a weapon designed for .223

I'm sorry, but I said virtually the same. You are correct, if it is marked 5.56, then you can use either, but you don't want to use 5.56 in a .223 marked chamber because of the higher chamber pressure caused by the 5.56 round.

Sorry about that, I didn't clarify because he had a 5.56 marked firearm. :)

mighty2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Welcome to the AR family.

If your gun is marked 5.56 it can shot either.

I do recommend to shot 223 through it though, it will last longer.

By the way you can't just have one!!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm sorry, but I said virtually the same. You are correct, if it is marked 5.56, then you can use either, but you don't want to use 5.56 in a .223 marked chamber because of the higher chamber pressure caused by the 5.56 round.

Sorry about that, I didn't clarify because he had a 5.56 marked firearm. :)
    No biggie.;)
    I just didn't want someone new to the AR assume the wrong thing.
    There are a LOT of people that believe the two are ALWAYS completely interchangeable, and you can NOT convince them differently.
    You MAY get away with 5.56 in a .223 for a while, but I don't want to be around when it DOES fail! :twocents:

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I hate to be the one to tell you this but you really screwed up buying that AR because they are highly addictive!
    But you really got a good price in todays market, but I bet your already thinking of how you want your next AR setup!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    dont worry about what it says on the lower receiver, worry about what it says on the barrel itself, since the barrel contains the chamber for the round. As long as the barrel says 5.56, your G2G with what ever ammo you choose.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Congrats with that great deal you got you'll have more to spend on all the other goodies. From experience if you going to buy accessories make sure you research, there is a lot of junk out there. On the other hand though there is some good gear that is quite a bit cheaper than the top of the line stuff too.

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Well I shot the AR yesterday, I only went thru 2 mags, It went boom! It was an awsome feeling knowing I out something together that I did.It wasnt a wholelot of fun becuase it didnt doesnt have rear sights but Im going to order some optics. I was shooting with my buddy whos a police officer and he has a Bushmaster M4 semi wit tactical everything and can shoot 3 round burst and fully auto.. so he trumped me. Damn it.. O wel!!

Top Bottom