• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gertz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Fremont, IN
    So I just recently acquired my first AK pattern. It's a Century Arms stamped AKMS. It looks like it was a Polish parts kit. I've done a lot of research on AKs over the last couple years. So I had some idea of what to look for, however, it's hard to know exactly what you have with these rifles. Specific or detailed information can be very hard to find.

I was wondering if anyone else had this same Century stamped rifle, and how it's preformed for you. Mine looks solid; no obvious FSB/Gas block cant, tight mag fit, solid rivets. Only the trunnion looks a bit worn. Also when I charge my bolt back and release it slowly it seems my bolt is catching on the hammer, and gets hung up. It looks to me like that is in the design, but I'm not sure if that is normal or not. It works fine when I charge it normally though so I'm not too worried.

Also I wanted to know if I call Century Arms with my serial number can they tell me who manufactured the specific parts or at least where they got them. I just want to know what's on my gun so I can assess the quality of specific parts.

I know I'm getting too analytical about it, but I got lots of time on my hands lol. So if you guys have any information I'd definitely appreciate it. Also need grats for first post on INGO :-)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

And the AK-addiction!

It is normal for the bolt/carrier to get hung up on the hammer when you move it slowly by hand. The AK was designed to take a beating, and as such it requires the carrier to be returned under full force of the recoil spring. I had known more than a couple of people who don't believe me, and find that if they ride the carrier back slow enough it will catch on the hammer and they believe it is a bolt hold open. That is until they stick their fingers in the breech and the carrier decided to release itself, with a very painful result. The AK does not have a bolt hold open as designed.

Semi-autos in general are designed to have the bolt closed under full force of the return spring, and riding the handle back might cause the bolt not to close completely.

Gertz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Fremont, IN
    Yea I never did that to load the weapon if that's what he thought. Just to check the smoothness. It's my first AK not my first gun lol. Yea they aren't like an SKS. I would not like to get my finger caught in that. Thanks for that feedback.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sorry if it sounded like I was talking down to you, it was not my intention. With you being new to the site, I had no idea how into firearms you are. We do have many new to firearms people signing up, so unfortunately I lump everyone in the same group just to be safe.

Regardless, enjoy your AK. About the only problem with them is you have so much fun shooting them, the cost of ammo causes you to choose between feeding yourself, or your AK! :D And then there is that slowly building addiction that says, you now have to add another underfolder, or another sidefolder, or another fixed stock with different wood or plastic, or... different caliber, different country's, and you have joined the club of AK-addicts!

Gertz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Fremont, IN
    Sorry if it sounded like I was talking down to you, it was not my intention. With you being new to the site, I had no idea how into firearms you are. We do have many new to firearms people signing up, so unfortunately I lump everyone in the same group just to be safe.

Regardless, enjoy your AK. About the only problem with them is you have so much fun shooting them, the cost of ammo causes you to choose between feeding yourself, or your AK! :D And then there is that slowly building addiction that says, you now have to add another underfolder, or another sidefolder, or another fixed stock with different wood or plastic, or... different caliber, different country's, and you have joined the club of AK-addicts!

Maybe, although, I'm trying to limit my-self to a few select weapons. I don't really want a large arsenal. I want to get my collection down to a rifle, shotgun, and a sidearm. I'm a bit of a minimalist. Plus there isn't any critter I cant kill with a AK and a 12 gauge! But who knows what I'll end up with. . .

potbelly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    hello Gertz, I thought I would only have one too. That was 5 years ago. Time to feed the addiction with an underfolder this time.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Never ride the charging handle back - on any semi-auto firearm.

Grats on the new toy though!

It sounds like he was just working the action to get a feel for how smooth the operation is, not racking it with the intention of loading a round into the chamber.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    He asked if it was a problem - I indicated the "issue" not a comment on him etc.

AK's with nice newer parts can often stick if you rack the BC slowly - rack it hard to the rear and let it slam forward - problem solved.

Top Bottom