• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got this today... Rock Island 1911 Gov't .45 Tactical... :D Been wanting a 1911 for a long time, and found a deal on this one that I couldn't refuse. :):

IMG_1743_zpsa0c1d35a.jpg

IMG_1746_zpsc2c80f75.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Congrates on entering an arena that is very addictive.
    Nice piece. It may be mag sensitive.
    How so? Are there certain kinds I should look for, or would it be best just taking the gun along to the 1500 and trying them out before I buy? It only came with one, so I will definitely be wanting to get some extras. When you say "sensitive", do you mean that they don't fit/eject easily, or are there feed problems with some types?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How so? Are there certain kinds I should look for, or would it be best just taking the gun along to the 1500 and trying them out before I buy? It only came with one, so I will definitely be wanting to get some extras. When you say "sensitive", do you mean that they don't fit/eject easily, or are there feed problems with some types?

I have seen a few RIA's that have feed issues with cheap mags. Your gun might be fine as it is a Tactical. If you experience problems in this area (hope you do not) then look at Wilson combat or Chip McCorick mags. JMHO based on experience.
    Enjoy the new gun and welcome to the club.
    Do not feed the 1911 after mid-nite or get it wet. They tend to multiply...:D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have seen a few RIA's that have feed issues with cheap mags. Your gun might be fine as it is a Tactical. If you experience problems in this area (hope you do not) then look at Wilson combat or Chip McCorick mags. JMHO based on experience.
    Uh oh... it was "wet" when I got it (from the oil that the factor coated it with). :): The mag that came with it is an ACT. I do know that mags can make or break just about any semi-auto. I've also heard that it wouldn't hurt to polish the feed ramp to reduce the chance of feeding issues with HP ammo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Uh oh... it was "wet" when I got it (from the oil that the factor coated it with). :): The mag that came with it is an ACT. I do know that mags can make or break just about any semi-auto. I've also heard that it wouldn't hurt to polish the feed ramp to reduce the chance of feeding issues with HP ammo.

Leave the ramp alone until you run some rounds through it. Try different types and makes. If something works then stay with it. I use Hornady Critical defense for EDC and personal protection. It is shaped similar to ball and feeds really well. It is like Glaser and mag safe so it packs a serious wallop.
    Also, to much oil does no better than just enough. It can be a deterrent as well.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Congrats of the 1911 purchase. 1911's do multiply. I know from personal expierence. 1911's also made me sell all my plastic guns so I could purchase more 1911's :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Congrats of the 1911 purchase. 1911's do multiply. I know from personal expierence. 1911's also made me sell all my plastic guns so I could purchase more 1911's :D
    Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. I do like my M&P 45 though, and I don't really want to part with it just yet.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Congrates on entering an arena that is very addictive.
    Nice piece. It may be mag sensitive.

Never had a RIA that was sensitive to anything. Currently I own several 1911's. My RIA tactical will eat any ammo and use any mag to include 10 round mags. However I have a Springfield fully loaded that is finicky about mags and specifically has a hard time with the 10 round mags I use on just about any other 1911 so far.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Leave the ramp alone until you run some rounds through it. Try different types and makes. If something works then stay with it. I use Hornady Critical defense for EDC and personal protection. It is shaped similar to ball and feeds really well. It is like Glaser and mag safe so it packs a serious wallop.
    Also, to much oil does no better than just enough. It can be a deterrent as well.
    I've got some Remington JHP's, and some of the Winchester (?) PDX Bonded (I think). If I have problems with HP's in general, then I can go the polish route. Although I don't think polishing hurts anything in general... just with like 800 grit and a pencil eraser. Not really talking about removing a lot of metal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Never had a RIA that was sensitive to anything. Currently I own several 1911's. My RIA tactical will eat any ammo and use any mag to include 10 round mags. However I have a Springfield fully loaded that is finicky about mags and specifically has a hard time with the 10 round mags I use on just about any other 1911 so far.
    That's encouraging! :)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I run the 10 rd. Wilson and CM mags in all my Springers and they run well with them. The CM power mags lock in tight with the beveled wrap on the base. They do seem to be the better of the 2.
    I was not knocking the RIA's as I have shot them on many occasions and have known a few to be picky about the mags used. Easy fix. Have not shot a tactical as yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've got some Remington JHP's, and some of the Winchester (?) PDX Bonded (I think). If I have problems with HP's in general, then I can go the polish route. Although I don't think polishing hurts anything in general... just with like 800 grit and a pencil eraser. Not really talking about removing a lot of metal.

1000 grit or higher to polish. I use Cratex for this. It is a grit clay that does not take material wholesale. Be very careful.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    1000 grit or higher to polish. I use Cratex for this. It is a grit clay that does not take material wholesale. Be very careful.
    I've also got some Blue Magic metal polish that I've used on one of my Mosins that had a "sticky" chamber. Would that be a good choice as well? I know I want to be careful with whatever I use, and hopefully I won't have to do anything at all. I'll find that out when I get to the range tomorrow.

On a completely unrelated note, the holster I got can be worn OWB on my belt, or also IWB with a clip. I never thought carrying it IWB on my hip would be an option (mainly because my "W" takes up a lot of room :):), but I'm trying it out right now just around the house, and it's actually pretty comfortable, and conceals better than I expected. Once I get it broken in and am confident in its reliability, I may be carrying this gun on a regular basis, at least now that cooler weather is coming. :)

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I have a ria 45 officer model that came with 2 act mags and they feed just as well as the 2 I got from Wilson combat. Wilson recommends semi wad cutters for 1911s but I've always heard 1911s perfer ball ammo...? Never had a problem shooting either.

Top Bottom