• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    :xmad: I went to the Fishers Post Office this past week to mail out a handgun I sold on GunBroker to a guy in Colorado. I usually go to the same guy at the counter who always likes to kid me about thanking Obama for helping to sell my guns for me. That day he was doing something else so I got a lady in her 50’s. I gave her my filled out form 5108 and she looked at it like what is this. I asked her does she know what to do with it and she said she did but I could tell she did not have a clue. She said she has worked for the USPS for 22 years and knows all the rules on shipping firearms.

She read the Firearm word on the form and asked if this was a handgun; something easy to deduct from the size of the box. When I told her it was she said “you can’t ship a handgun through the US Post Office". I explained that I was a FFL dealer sending a firearm to another FFL dealer and she needs to go read the USPS rules; I ship one a week here on the average.

She then proceeds to ask me if it was disassembled, which I told her it was not. She told me it had to be disassembled or I could not send it. I told her she was mistaken and she then said that she would have to open the package and inspect the gun. I said I have shipped a dozen hand guns from this post office the past month and my regular guy has never had a problem with any shipment. I suggested she bring him out or get the postmaster out here. Just then he came out from the back and I pointed him out to her and tried to call him over. She got annoyed and said never mind and turned to a women next to her and asked her about opening the box to inspect to see if the gun was dismantled (which I already told her it was not nor was it a requirement}. Then this counter woman said "not to worry as they will catch it when they X-ray the package later on".

This probably took five minutes and the people were lined up ten deep behind me. You would think that the people at the US Post Office would know the law as it is spelled out very clearly on their web site. I wonder if people have the same problems at the FedEx and UPS when they ship firearms. I have been reading about the uninformed people at Wal*Mart but they have an excuse for being ignorant of the law; not US Government employees at the post office.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Wow..... Must have been a temp. postal worker sent up to the Fishers branch from Lawrence. The Lawrence branch is so bad that I drive to the Oaklandon branch if I have to deal with the post office directly. Post office workers = The UAW of the government!!! :rolleyes:
    :cheers:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Are you usually going to the side counter? I like the guys who work there. The front counter has the ladies and one older gentlemen. I've never had a problem but I'm not shipping guns.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    mostly have no problem myself

Are you usually going to the side counter? I like the guys who work there. The front counter has the ladies and one older gentlemen. I've never had a problem but I'm not shipping guns.

I usually go to the counter on the left when you come in and there are two guys I deal with but that day there was a women there too and four people in line and only one customer at each of the women at the main counter. I always joke with the one guy and never have had a problem until this time. The lady got educated by me in a nice way so hopefully if I get her again it will go smoother.

scooter75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Great! I am having one hell of a time getting a gun shipped to me....I am new to the whole shipping thing and I have been told a million different things! Honestly I am geting sick of it! Where can I find the true answers? My father got me a Henry .22 for Christmas...sweet! He lives in Virginia and I live here in the Great State of Indiana...So we decided just to ship it to me back here. I called the UPS store and they said sure we will package it for you and you take it to the hub and no problem! So my old man takes it to the hub and they say, "No it has to be made so it cannot not fire!" I say BS to that and call UPS then they say only to FFL to FFL....I need the truth and som help! I am getting more and more into this would it just be easier to get an FFL?!?!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Great! I am having one hell of a time getting a gun shipped to me....I am new to the whole shipping thing and I have been told a million different things! Honestly I am geting sick of it! Where can I find the true answers? My father got me a Henry .22 for Christmas...sweet! He lives in Virginia and I live here in the Great State of Indiana...So we decided just to ship it to me back here. I called the UPS store and they said sure we will package it for you and you take it to the hub and no problem! So my old man takes it to the hub and they say, "No it has to be made so it cannot not fire!" I say BS to that and call UPS then they say only to FFL to FFL....I need the truth and som help! I am getting more and more into this would it just be easier to get an FFL?!?!

Your father is a resident of another state, so he needs to ship it to an IN FFL holder.

ETA: This thread should help https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...on/17525-selling_guns_across_state_lines.html

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Your dad needs to package the gun real good and take it to the UPS store and they will ship it ground for a reasonable cost. I get them all the time from the UPS. The USPS only allows FFL's to ship to other FFL's. Go on google and seach for sites that have the rules for shipping firearms.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Your dad needs to package the gun real good and take it to the UPS store and they will ship it ground for a reasonable cost. I get them all the time from the UPS. The USPS only allows FFL's to ship to other FFL's. Go on google and seach for sites that have the rules for shipping firearms.

First he needs to find an FFL to receive the gun. The UPS Store won't ship them, it needs to be a hub, but you already had that part figured out.

ETA: And the USPS only accepts HANDGUNS from FFL to FFL, long guns are fine for us commonfolk :)

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    general shipping rules for guns

Shipping Firearms

• Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL but may be shipped intrastate. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.

• A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.

• Firearms delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written notice to the carrier of the contents of the shipment, if mailing to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors. Notice to the carrier is not required when shipping to one of the licensed entities aforementioned. Letter from BATFE summarizing shipping responsibilities under the law: Media:BATFE_shipping_letter.jpg

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    No no, sorry I should've been more clear, he needs an FFL no matter what, so I was just saying that he can use UPS or USPS from his dad. There's no way around having to use an FFL for this. :)

ETA: again to be clearer, his dad can use USPS or UPS to ship the gun to an IN FFL.

scooter75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Hell Imight be even more confused HAHA! I think I get it but it is the "Brain Surgeons" at UPS I am having trouble with....When she told me guns had to go FFL to FFL I asked her if I had a warranty problem does that mean I have to walk it there? She told me that was the exception! Frustrated!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Hell Imight be even more confused HAHA! I think I get it but it is the "Brain Surgeons" at UPS I am having trouble with....When she told me guns had to go FFL to FFL I asked her if I had a warranty problem does that mean I have to walk it there? She told me that was the exception! Frustrated!

Warranty issues and gunsmith work can go directly back to the customer from the FFL they sent their already owned firearm from

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    The receiver needs to be a FFL for out of state shipping of long guns.

No no, sorry I should've been more clear, he needs an FFL no matter what, so I was just saying that he can use UPS or USPS from his dad. There's no way around having to use an FFL for this. :)

ETA: again to be clearer, his dad can use USPS or UPS to ship the gun to an IN FFL.

You are correct, only a FFL holder can ship a handgun using the USPS and it has to be to another FFL. I believe citizens can ship a long gun himself out of state but it must go to a FFL Dealer. He needs to double check with the Post Office or the BATF but that is how I read the law.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I was in the post office just yesterday and there was a sign up showing things that could not be shipped USPS. "Handguns" was on the list. So, of course, without qualification this sign is UNTRUE, WRONG, and MISLEADING. It should say something like (if they want to have a sign at all), that handguns cannot be shipped "except by an FFL holder," or something like that.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Good point

I was in the post office just yesterday and there was a sign up showing things that could not be shipped USPS. "Handguns" was on the list. So, of course, without qualification this sign is UNTRUE, WRONG, and MISLEADING. It should say something like (if they want to have a sign at all), that handguns cannot be shipped "except by an FFL holder," or something like that.

I doubt some of the employees in the post office even know about the FFL requirement and some that do still do not understand the rules. Matter of fact I know they don't from past experience. I will mention the sign the next time I am in.

Top Bottom