• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    My Birthday Present: Super Blackhawk. And Leaning How to Shoot It.

Every year i get to buy a gun for my birthday(yep, that's one gun a year). This year I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter. I think I'm really going to like this gun, even though ammo is pretty expensive. I finally got to shoot it today after waiting over a week, just couldn't find the time to shoot it. This thing barely recoils at all. I think it shoots about like a hot .357 mag. I couldn't be much happier with the way it shoots. This was the best group of the day. I was shooting "cheap" American Eagle ammo. My rest invovled a yard roller, a 55gal drum, a tire, and some boards, shooting a lasered 35 yards. The best group with that ammo is shown. Shooting Magtech ammo, the groups opened up to 6". The difference was unbelievable. I'm glad i started shooting with the better ammo or i would have been ticked off!

Here's the gun(glamour photo?):
    3.jpg

And here's the group, measure 1 5/8 inch. Not bad for the second six shots out of the gun using poor factory ammo. Can't wait to start brewing some hand loads.

T1.jpg

Last edited:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I'm jealous! I started hunting deer with my SBH Bisley (not the Hunter model) in .44mag this year and love it! I know you will enjoy that gun. If you reload, you will also have a good time watching those groups get smaller and smaller. Congrats!

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Nice choice. My sons got me a Super Blackhawl Hunter a few years ago. Fine sixgun. If you handload, you can make up some really good hunting loads. Ther is lots of data out there on 44 Mag. loads for Super Blackhawk. Some of the specialty ammo makers make some fine hunting loads with heavy hard-cast bullets in the 300-350 grain range.
    Enjoy your new baby!

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    037.jpg

I've taken 3 deer with mine so far this season from 50 yards out to 80. Nice shooting guns. This group was at 50 yards off sandbags.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Chris, i told you i intended to enjoy it and shooting groups like that is a LOT of fun. Honestly, I've never hunted in my life, but every single person I've shown this gun to has asked when I'm getting a deer with it. So far my only goals are to learn to shoot very well at 100-200 yards. And if i can find somewhere, as far as i can see. I know this gun can do it, i just have to learn how.

bigdawg, I hope that doesn't say 1.12" at 50 yards. If so, that's some great shooting and exactly what i have in mind. I plan on working up some handloads and firguring out how to shoot that well. It looks like you used 240gr bullets over 20.5gr of 2400. That's the exactly load my friend and I are going to start working with the next time we shoot. We're going to try a few and see how it likes different loads. This experimenting is awesome too. He has a Ruger Super Redhawk with scope so it's a great pair to play with.

ihunt

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne area
    Bought a Hunter in 45 LC a month ago. Weather and schedule have not allowed me to shoot it yet. I can't wait. The weather now seems to be what will keep it from happening until the spring.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Today was a big day for this gun and I. I went back to my friends house and cooked up some hand loads. We had made and tested different loads in his gun the other day but didn't have time to do that with my gun today. Instead, we just went with the best load for his gun. I got to crank them out. My first experience hand loading and it went really well. Plus, i was using all his supplies so it was like i was making ammo out of thin air!

Next it was off to the shooting range. This time we went to a different location where my gun could stretch it's legs a little. He brought his AR to sight in a little as well and you can see his work in the picture.

With the target set at 100 yards, I fired one set of six with the factory ammo to make sure i was on paper. To my surprise i was hitting a good six inches high or more. It looked 3 or more inches HIGHER than i was sighted in at 35 yards with the exact same box of ammo. Knowing i was on the board, i switched to the handloads. My friend spotted my first shot as the one touching the triangle in the picture. He said i should quit while i was ahead. The next four shots (for a 5 shot group) went high and wide out to about a 7 inch group. Truthfully, I was EXCITED about a 7" group at 100 yards.

This time we weren't on a rest. I had my back to a truck tire and my hands resting between my knees for an amazingly sturdy shot. This is absolutely the way to go for a stable position without a bench.

I reloaded another five and fired away. This ammo also shot fairly high. I was aiming at the duck tape holding up the target because i could see it easier than the gray target. This time all five shots where within five inches. I measured it when i got home at about 4 3/8". I consider that AWESOME! My second time shooting the gun, my second 5 shots shooting this handload, my first time hand loading.

This time i took my friends advice and quit. The sun was going down anyways. Now i am really excited about the potential of this gun!

Sorry I'm getting more and more wordy, but don't you wish you where this excited about a gun!

Here's the pic. You'll see two extra .43 size holes and a few .223 size holes. We only had so many targets and we where in a hurry. Sorry.

T2.jpg

Top Bottom