• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    So after about 7 months of tricking out my 458 I bought earlier this year it was time for its first visit to the range. I got all set, we were squared away. Fired the first shot....failed to eject! I says "we'll have it give it another and call that a fluke." The second chambers, shoots and ejects perfectly! Next shot, FTE AGAIN!! We go with this pattern again and I stripped it down. Bolt was a little tight, but there was nothing amiss...barrel was free of debris...everything looked as it should. I finished the box of ammo and had about half FTE. Today I called Rock River...they were really helpful (kudos to them) and walked me through all the possible culprits. Finally we ended on the casing to tell the story. We both seemed to think that it was the CorBon 325 gr JHP. They had recalled the 300 for blowing up barrels and receivers but hadn't had a lot of problems with the others. Called CorBon and they were also really pleasant and helpful. They said they have had a lot of issues with this years 458 socom ammo being out of spec from what manufacturers are building for. They offered to pay for me to send the ammo back and replace it all even the spent box I used. Anyone else having problems with any of the CorBon ammo? I'm hoping that was really the issue and not my brand new rifle!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Do you have the mid length RRA 458socom?

Theres a known issue with them as well, takes a [STRIKE]fast[/STRIKE] :edit: slow powder to get them to function reliably.

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Do you have the mid length RRA 458socom?

Theres a known issue with them as well, takes a [STRIKE]fast[/STRIKE] :edit: slow powder to get them to function reliably.

Ive run nothing but H110 loads in my mid length and had zero issues with it. That's the only powder I use and the same powder Profire loads his SOCOM ammunition with. I would hunt around and see if you could track down some SBR factory loads to try.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I've run SBR and Andrew's loads in my mid-length with no issues.

Big Daddy's has some SBR 300 grain TTSX in stock.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've run SBR and Andrew's loads in my mid-length with no issues.

Me too. No issues. Also have some homebrews with Accurate 1680. The only problems I ever had with my middy was when using either of the RRA springs. Switched to a standard recoil spring for 5.56 and she runs like a champ.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Kimber= Chevy (Designed to be set in the garage or safe and looked at but not used)
    Colt= Ford (Takes a licking and keeps on tickin)
    HighPoint =Dodge (So many problems they can cause even a cummins to fail)

glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    Yes I had a post earlier im one of the destroyed ones haha, its Cor-bon for sure! Still waiting on my 7 boxes of 300gr called last week they told me. They are waiting on brass to run another batch it will be first of the year??? im calling agatomorrow I will however be very suspicious and will be very careful shooting anything with Cor-bon on the box!!

Top Bottom