• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gotink42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    Valparaiso IN
    :twocents: Everyone needs to look around at the Valpo. community,the Leos know the law. I think someone called AMWG and they had to do something. I just think they went about it in the wrong way. Valpo and the rest of NW indiana need to be educated on the laws. Most of the problems are because these people are from IL.. Weither you CC or OC it doesn't matter. These people need to know the laws. I don't think an OC march would be the best way to educate these people. We as a gun community need to do this in a way that makes us look good not like a bunch of gun crazed nuts. Maybe an OC picnic would be a better idea. Weither we do it this year or next spring I would be in. All you have to do is invite the local media. We all know they wouldnt turn down any story that has to do with GUNS. It has to be done in NW indiana. Now back to the OC thing lets all just be realistic and use a little common sense about it. I think it's great that we have a permit to do both.

Last edited:

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I don't disagree with you. I think it would be great for the Times to do an article about gun ownership and laws in Indiana. I think a lot of people aren't aware of the guns laws in Indiana, and especially that they vary from state to state. I also agree with you that people from Illinois don't know anything about gun laws in Indiana. The Chicago people assume that no one can carry a gun anywhere in the country.

I think you are talking about the healthcare protest/counter-protest in Valpo last weekend. I agree that I think it is not the proper forum to bring up gun ownership and carry issues. We need to focus on one thing at a time. However, I also feel that detaining a person or harassing someone for carrying a firearm OC is not appropriate. But, it does scare the sheep.

I had a conversation with my step-brother and his wife who live in the Gold Coast area of Chicago a couple months ago about gun ownership. Being the only gun owner in my family, I am not ostracized, but to them, I do not fit the profile (skinny, college educated, preppy, pretty boy) of a gun owner. They assume that gun owners are all hillbillies. They were amazed that I have a license to carry and that it is relatively easy for a person to receive an LTCH from the state if you qualify. They were not disrespectful, just unaware.

Anyways, I think it would be a good idea to perhaps get this issue out in the open, with the assistance of the newspapers. People need to know what the laws are so they don't freak out when they see a person carrying a firearm OC or CC.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Being from Valpo, I am interested to get the local LEO's informed and on our side. Writing letters may be a good start.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I think you are talking about the healthcare protest/counter-protest in Valpo last weekend. I agree that I think it is not the proper forum to bring up gun ownership and carry issues. We need to focus on one thing at a time. However, I also feel that detaining a person or harassing someone for carrying a firearm OC is not appropriate. But, it does scare the sheep.
    If you're talking about the guy that was attacked by the cop on the video, I don't think the individual in question was bringing up gun ownership and carry issues. I think he was just carrying his handgun when the topic was "brought up" for him by the cop.

Today is Pop Corn Fest in Valpo . I say anyone who goes should open carry.
    I'll see if I can talk my wife into taking the kids over there.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    One of our members was detained, given a lecture on whey he shouldn't open carry, then sent on his way. All on video.

Personally I think the best way would to OC all the time. The more they see people with a gun on their hip the more they will accept it. Also our next OC event should be in Valpo. In a park by ourselves would do us no good. We need to be SEEN by the public.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Personally I think the best way would to OC all the time. The more they see people with a gun on their hip the more they will accept it. Also our next OC event should be in Valpo. In a park by ourselves would do us no good. We need to be SEEN by the public.

I agree. OC'ing would help educate the public. Especially in what could be considered a "affluent" community like Valpo, the majority of people who live there probably aren't aware of this state's Carry Laws and presume that Illinois rules NWI.

In regards to our INGO'er OC'ing at the protest, I personally do not have a problem with it. I just think it may not have been the time or place due to the "hub bub" over the health care stuff.

But, I do think the Times should do a spread regarding gun laws in Indiana. They do that "It's the Law" series once a week. They should address gun laws in more detail for those who aren't aware of them.

The picnic in the park thing would be a good idea as well. I could go for some Brats.

exile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    One of our members was detained, given a lecture on whey he shouldn't open carry, then sent on his way. All on video.

N/M - found everything in the other thread

Last edited:
    Top Bottom