• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    not having a 22lr semi auto rifle in the box had me thinking it's about time i find something sooner or later - well later finally came around while walking through a gun show with a buddy a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 the one with a squirrel stamped into the stock, it actually looked pretty good stock was all intact no wear, dings, dents or scratches, the action seemed to work ok too the seller wanted more than a hundred and I didn't care to go past 60 I ended up coming back to his booth and we agreed on a $100 probably 20-30 too much but hey I got a 22lr now.
    on the way out my buddy says hey you need a case for that thing don't ya? so yep buy a $15 soft side zipper upper case too

so finally I get chance to go to the range and low and behold my wife comes with too. this should be fun (I hope) which it was we shot 300 + rounds shreaded targets and had a great time. I load the squirrel gun up and psst it fired ! next round went off too, next round nope, clear it , next round yes , next round nope , nop yes, yes, nope nope - federal bulk pack from cabelas or walmart never a miss in any of my other 22s

So I case it back up bring it home take it apart , clean it, clean it again oil it put it back together next range outing I bring some cci ammo with too
    once again with the federal hit hit hit miss, miss hit , miss it probably fired 50%-60% of a tube - inserted 5 @ a time cci ammo it hit 5 for 5

still a little disappointed thinking she needs the good stuff only I bang the net for some more info on light strikes - because for sure that was the issue comparing the brass from my other 22s it was pretty obvious the dent was not nearly as deep......... needs a new hammer? new springs? and the excess oil removed.......
    www.jnpgunsprings.com has a model 60 spring kit - hammer spring and recoil spring made from chrome silicone (not shiny or slippery) ordered on Sunday arrived on Wednesday the hammer spring was @ least a 1/4" longer than the original spring - the recoil spring was about the same length........... a noticeable difference in the "snap" of a dry fire form the newly installed hammer spring - of course cleaned up the action and didn't over oil it, I used ONE drop as recommended. the spring kit was $19 shipped and I'm betting it would have needed new springs anyway - the serial starts with 19 which by most suggestions have it as built in 1981
    30+ years on the original springs I'm sure, yep time to replace them.

so there it is $134 so far ............. now I just need to shoot it again, ensure it's sorted out and then run the snot out it for years to come.

thanks for listening sorry to leave you hanging I'll report back after I've fired it again

Dan T

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yep, sometimes even the most reliable firearms, like the Marlin 60, can use a new spring or two now and then.

By the way, my old Model 60 has been a tack driving sewer pipe for ammo that many other of my semi-auto .22s won't shoot, or don't like to shoot.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I had this happen in my Ruger 10/22. I thought it was the junk magazine I had out with me as it worked well with the 10 round original magazine my cousin had in his. Then we loaded his magazine with the Winchester Wildcat ammo I had grabbed on my way out the door and it fired a couple of magazine well but then hit and missed a few. He tried the ammo in his 10/22 and the same thing. He tried the plastic high capacity magazine as well and had even more missfires. So when I got home I disassembled the rifle and cleaned it well. I gave away the Winchester ammo and run the Remington in it with a steel lipped high capacity magazine and it doesn't miss a lick. I have a Marlin Model 60 and have never had a problem with it but now I am thinking I may need to order spring kits for them all as backups.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My formerly owned Marlin 60, while being a neat gun to shoot, absolutely hated to be run dirty. And, in my meager experience, they get dirty QUICK.

From most of what I read - I guess my particular rifle just wasn't all that "great" as the others.

-J-

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    My first rifle was the Marlin 60. It has an estimated 20K ran through it and still running strong. Used to shoot a bulk brick a week on the farm. I was always anal cleaning mine, but my brother on the other hand was never good at cleaning guns. his has similar round count and never had an issue. I know it has sat uncleaned for 10 years and a few months ago we shot it... shot fine. Of course I wanted to smack him, but it shot and I cleaned it for him. Literally took me 2 hours to clean the thing. Terrible gun owner he is for neglecting his rifle for that long. Glad it still worked and now I am even happier it is clean and happy.

Top Bottom