• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I loved my old gerber milti tool. Someone else liked it more and stole it I still have the carry case. I flicked iT out so much it almost reacted like A switchblade.

since then I have purchased a leatherman original and pst. I got them both at rock bottom prices. One in Bug out bag one on hip. Good equipment for the dollar and I have had them both for several years.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    What's your budget? What's the application? Do you want a multitool with locking blades?

MrHank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Westfield, IN
    What's your budget? What's the application? Do you want a multitool with locking blades?

Around $100. I work in the maintenance field and I want something that is going to stand up to what is made for and yes I want folding blades. I want to be able to use it to at least cut and strip 14awg wire if I have to, it would be my if I forget a tool, tool.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I want folding blades.

I think you want the sort of folding blade that locks (i.e., you have to press something to release the blade). Most multitools have folding blades, but they don't lock. If the locking feature is important to you, be sure to check the description.

Given your application, I'd look at the heavy duty Leatherman, particularly the 300 EOD or the MUT EOD:

Heavy-Duty Tools

You can work with wire, they have locking features, etc. Amazon seems to have some good deals currently.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Stay away from gerber now. They don't make a quality product anymore. IMO there are 3 choices for you. Leatherman most models will serve you well and a 25 year warranty. Victorinox spirit tool (Swiss army knifes version of a multitool). They are heavy duty tools and awesome!! Super quality. And SOGs multi tool. Awesome 1 hand open. Great little tool.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a Leatherman Mut, it's big but it get's the job done.

I've had great luck with Leatherman products in the past. I've never used one, but have heard the Victorinox (like safe queen above suggested) make a good multi tool as well

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I prefer leatherman, I find the Pliers are too valuable to not have on me. So I went for the Juice XE6. Its a bit big for the pocket, but its shorter and easily pocketed or even put ona belt. Being in the maintenance field I would probably suggest a longer full size model. Leatherman has a killer guarantee. Darn, now I feel the need to upgrade...

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    For what its worth....
    I've got a Gerber 400 and a Leatherman (I can't remember the model) in the car for the odd task that comes up. Both have performed well. But admittedly they both are not hard use tools (not by me anyway) but have not failed in anything I've tried to do with them.

Stay safe

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I've owned Gerber, SOG, Schrade, and now Leatherman. I prefer the latter two. My leatherman now is the Surge.

Totally forgot about Schrade. Good tools. Ive used Gerber, just not a fan of their materials used. I've yet to get my hands on a SOG. I've heard they are good.

I was given an original Leatherman PST when I was 9, I swapped to the Juice XE6 in 2011 due to not wanting to lose, or finally break, the original PST. Proof is in the pudding for me.

Uhm. I was 9 in 1991

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Victorinox multitools get overlooked, but they are excellent tools.

I've not been happy with anything Gerber has made in the last 10-15 years.

I carry Leatherman's first version of the SuperTool. I also have the SuperTool 300, which is better, but heavier. For more modest needs, the Rebar or Blast are excellent choices. The Surge is the hulk of the line, but lacks the replaceable wire cutters.

I like the looks of the SOG tools, but I can never decide which I want.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom