• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thedudeabides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    I have a suppressor (Class II silencer) on a non-nfa firearm. I am looking to possibly move out of state. Do I need to notify ATF or do anything other than put it in the car?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You require approval from the BATF before moving a Title II device between states (temporarily to shoot it or to move.) I believe this is form [SIZE=-1]5320.20.[/SIZE]

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You require approval from the BATF before moving a Title II device between states (temporarily to shoot it or to move.) I believe this is form [SIZE=-1]5320.20.[/SIZE]

IIRC, suppressors do not need a transport form just to temporarily take it out of state. I think that's the only Title II firearm that's exempt from the Form. However, with any NFA device, if you are permanently changing your state of residence, you DO need to file with the BATFE.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    IIRC, suppressors do not need a transport form just to temporarily take it out of state. I think that's the only Title II firearm that's exempt from the Form. However, with any NFA device, if you are permanently changing your state of residence, you DO need to file with the BATFE.

Do you have a citation that you have to file for a permanent move? If the law doesn't require permission for interstate transport of suppressors or AOW's, you don't have have to get permission to move.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Do you have a citation that you have to file for a permanent move? If the law doesn't require permission for interstate transport of suppressors or AOW's, you don't have have to get permission to move.

No, I can't find a citation for that, so it does look like you're correct in that suppressors don't need permission even if you're relocating your residence to another state.

Top Bottom