• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lately, I've started streaming some movies (Paramount+, Tubi and Pluto) as an alternative to repeats of sitcoms in the evening. Up until a few days ago, it had mostly been newer/current movies. A few nights ago, I watched "Full Metal Jacket". Last night I watched "The African Queen". Tonight I watched "The Shootist".

Regardless of content, I just think the production was much better with the older movies. When we watch new movies, I'm constantly having to adjust the volume on my TV (and it has to be LOUD). And the lighting is horrible for indoor scenes. It appears that most people sit around in dark rooms and speak in whispers as a matter of course, even in the middle of the day and when there is no need for secrecy. :scratch:

The 3 older movies that I watched had night scenes, and I could both see and hear the actors at a reasonable volume level, and never had to adjust it. Has anyone else noticed this? Why can't they do that today?

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Most tv shows are the same way. Volume fluctuating from scene to scene, the the commercials are loud as hell
    I used to have a tv (Magnavox I think) that would actually modulate the volume between commercials and a show. I wonder if it would've worked with the new movies.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I love the older/ish movies, Love the old war movies, and of course any John Wayne movies, And of course Bogey was great in anything. On the other hand, Shawshank Redemption is one I will always stop and watch (currently have it on DVR) I have noticed, that the old films always had "night" scenes shot with dark filters, so they looked darkish...DoggyDaddy have you ever watched the "Thin man" series? It's coming up soon on TCM, always a hoot to watch William Powell, and Myrna Loy interact.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    That my friend is the different between analog verses digital recordings. I can't speak for the picture but with audio, back in the day there was tape compression. With today's 24 bit 96k 5.1 surround recordings there is a vast dynamic range with the audio. I can only imagine that Digital has something to do with the picture as it isn't film and never was.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I can’t stand to watch any new TV show or movie that has a night scene it is almost impossible to see.
    You are right DD the older movies are much better to watch with a better story line.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What resolution is your TV? Also there could be settings related to movies vs standard TV show, and then there is the resolution at which the source material is being streamed, along with compression of the signal.

Basically, it could be your TV and it's settings as well as potentially the resolution at which the movie is being streamed, etc.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Oh man! The last few seasons of the walking dead that I watched were horrible for the very reasons you pointed out. Our tv is no slouch, but that show just devolved into nothing but dark scenes that you could barely make out what was happening, and/or people standing around mumbling. Just couldn’t tolerate it anymore.

I mainly stream older movies, very rarely, like maybe once a year we will watch a newly released movie, and yeah, same problem.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Oh man! The last few seasons of the walking dead that I watched were horrible for the very reasons you pointed out. Our tv is no slouch, but that show just devolved into nothing but dark scenes that you could barely make out what was happening, and/or people standing around mumbling. Just couldn’t tolerate it anymore.

I mainly stream older movies, very rarely, like maybe once a year we will watch a newly released movie, and yeah, same problem.
    You are right about that. I quit watching TWD because it was so dark I couldn’t see anything

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh,
    I recently streamed The rear window on Amazon. I have it on DVD, but hadn’t watched it in a while. That movie looks incredible streamed! And a lot of it was shot in low light. For a movie with not much in the way of scenery changes, there is nothing new that compares to it.
    Probably because back then they used filters to simulate darkness. So you still had a lot of the details actual darkness would kill.

Top Bottom