• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I managed a bit of excitement this morning on my ride to Wildcat Valley IDPA. About 75 miles and the roads were dry in some places and wet or damp in others but never got rained on. Caught the light on Indiana 43 north of West Lafayette at the McDonalds. Just started to accelerate normally when it turned green and the bike went sideways then swung back to almost 90 degrees the other way. I have no idea what I did to keep it upright but whatever it worked. I am guessing it was oil with just enough rain to make it slick but not wash it off the road. Pure ice couldn't have been any slicker. But I made it and had a great time shooting with really good friends. Jim.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The bike looks good though. :thumbsup:

I'm a cheap *******.

Bike has absolutely zero storage space. Wanted something for holding a registration, cigars, and such. Came across this handmade bag that works. So far, so good!

Cannon Ball Baker was from Crawfordsville, Indiana. He raced Indians back in the early 1900s and held a number of distance records.

He eventually raced in the 500.

Sometimes it's fun to ride around and see Indiana history.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm a cheap *******.

Bike has absolutely zero storage space. Wanted something for holding a registration, cigars, and such. Came across this handmade bag that works. So far, so good!

Cannon Ball Baker was from Crawfordsville, Indiana. He raced Indians back in the early 1900s and held a number of distance records.

He eventually raced in the 500.

Sometimes it's fun to ride around and see Indiana history.
    OK, heres your update. I was told the petcock leaked, why yes, yes it does.
    Took off the coffin tank and found the sheet metal around the petcock bung is rotten and someone before me covered it with JB weld? it didnt work.
    The tank is at such an angle that water must have been sitting in the bottom pointy end of the tank and just rotted it out. Tank will stay off and I will most likely order a new bung and cut out the sheet metal around the old bung and tig in some new metal and a new bung. I hate to do it, over it F'ing up the paint on the tank.
    Checked oil and yep, its over due for a change. Pulled the plugs and kicked it a few times and it sounded like it should. Shot Kroll in the cylinders and let it sit over night. Today I kicked it and it sounds a bit better.
    Shot some ether in each cylinder and put the plugs back in and shot some in the carb and kicked her again for 4-6 times and she didn't even bust a fart off. So no fire, ordered a factory service manual and a Triumph / BSA Bobber manual and with those I will start with the no fire when the books get here.
    This has no battery, it has a capacitor to bleed off excess electric when the engine i running. Some of it is new to me. I will be reading up with how this all works over the new few weeks and hopefully get this thing to run. Then in the shop and jack it up and start with going over it from front to back.
    But first to get it to run before any worthy investment.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I managed a bit of excitement this morning on my ride to Wildcat Valley IDPA. About 75 miles and the roads were dry in some places and wet or damp in others but never got rained on. Caught the light on Indiana 43 north of West Lafayette at the McDonalds. Just started to accelerate normally when it turned green and the bike went sideways then swung back to almost 90 degrees the other way. I have no idea what I did to keep it upright but whatever it worked. I am guessing it was oil with just enough rain to make it slick but not wash it off the road. Pure ice couldn't have been any slicker. But I made it and had a great time shooting with really good friends. Jim.

Just my experience, but streets seem to often have the worst traction after a light rain or early on in a rain. Oil gets brought up to the surface and it can be a dicey ride.

I learned that one when my better half followed me home after picking up a new to me bike during a heavy drizzle. Took off at a light to see how it pulled and just about put it down.

Lesson learned! LOL

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just my experience, but streets seem to often have the worst traction after a light rain or early on in a rain. Oil gets brought up to the surface and it can be a dicey ride.

I learned that one when my better half followed me home after picking up a new to me bike during a heavy drizzle. Took off at a light to see how it pulled and just about put it down.

Lesson learned! LOL
    We were heading to marion to dinner last night and at the Fairmount south side state road a dresser was turning off st 9 heading to Fairmount and he almost spun himself and his passenger around in some gravel.
    I started laughing and my girl was like "really"
    I said both of them in shorts, tee shirts and flip-flops. Yes, stupid should hurt.

We had dinner at The Tomahawk Restaurant. The old Country Club.
    We will go back.
    IMG_20240512_140425.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    It's been 45 years since I've had the fun of no battery, kicker only, Lucas capacitors, zener diodes and rectifer bridges.
    This year it's a beater, next year it will be neater.
    It's been 25+ since I had a kick only, but even then it had a battery. I never had a Brit bike so that should be an interesting build.

I did manage 296 miles on the Softail yesterday down to Columbus and back and see my 90 year old mom for Mother's Day.
    That 28 year old saddle didn't do my 60 year old butt any favors... lol... but at least I had electric start.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It's been 25+ since I had a kick only, but even then it had a battery. I never had a Brit bike so that should be an interesting build.

I did manage 296 miles on the Softail yesterday down to Columbus and back and see my 90 year old mom for Mother's Day.
    That 28 year old saddle didn't do my 60 year old butt any favors... lol... but at least I had electric start.
    LOL, Its gonna be fun I hope. The Trident 750 got elect start in 75 and more rolled in around 82. I hope to hit a few swap meets this summer/fall and catch up with a few of the British lovers that always are used vendors at the meets like Gas City has each year. I look at that rigid's rear tire and my butt says, hey fat man, how big of a rear tire can you shove in there?

When I talked to my Mom yesterday she instantly asked me, SO I UNDERSTAND YOU GOT ANOTHER TATTOO!!!!!! CAN IT BE SEEN WITH A TEE SHIRT ON?

No Mom you cant,
    I swear to god mom, Indiana State Law says I cant lie to you.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    LOL, Its gonna be fun I hope. The Trident 750 got elect start in 75 and more rolled in around 82. I hope to hit a few swap meets this summer/fall and catch up with a few of the British lovers that always are used vendors at the meets like Gas City has each year. I look at that rigid's rear tire and my butt says, hey fat man, how big of a rear tire can you shove in there?

When I talked to my Mom yesterday she instantly asked me, SO I UNDERSTAND YOU GOT ANOTHER TATTOO!!!!!! CAN IT BE SEEN WITH A TEE SHIRT ON?

No Mom you cant,
    I swear to god mom, Indiana State Law says I cant lie to you.
    The only British bike I ever rode was a Triumph chopper a buddy had way back when... It was a rigid framed butt buster too.
    However, it was all the controls being "wrong" that made me want to get off it after one ride. That, and the stupid ram horn bars.

"Indiana state law"... lol.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The only British bike I ever rode was a Triumph chopper a buddy had way back when... It was a rigid framed butt buster too.
    However, it was all the controls being "wrong" that made me want to get off it after one ride. That, and the stupid ram horn bars.

"Indiana state law"... lol.
    My mom is 86, she still goes.

This will get a short set of drag bars I believe. I will say that lock to lock ain't much on this scooter. I'm used to the "right" foot shifter for the most part.
    I will be looking at what jockey shifts are available for this bike also.
    My older brother has a few old Indian's, If I take one for a ride, I have to really think about everything I do with both sets of hands and feet.
    One of his is a 41 Chief, it has left side throttle, right side jockey shift and right hand spark advance.

Top Bottom