• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was going to go with beaver...young beaver but not too young.

Im gonna Denny this joke. I watched High, Wild and Free the other night. The narrator was staying with some Native Americans (Canadians?) up in British Columbua. They hunted beaver for their skins during the summer months. Rather than let the meat go to waste, they smoke the beavers and ate them. Supposedly the tail tastes like bacon. Now wrap your mind around that: bacon flavored beaver!

Oh, and I haven't had grouse, but I LOVE venison tenderloin.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I really like the stadium dogs at the Indianapolis Indians games...

Game......Meat......

Elemenohpe+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+518+at+_c7b0cd178925c609d1d07f3100cc8a2a.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've never had grouse, but based on what I have had I would rank the following:

charcoal grilled venison backstrap wrapped in bacon
    deep fried fresh bluegill
    pheasant

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've had grouse once and really liked it. I was at the new store in Carmel, Market District the other night and they actually have fresh grouse there. I have had a venison stew my brother-in-law makes that is amazing. Mix it with some spices, potatoes and carrots and you're in business!

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I assume the grouse population is currently very low. They normally go through a 20 year population cycle and population can be drastically effected by spring weather. I imagine the increase in the number of coyotes and winged predators can be doing them much good either.

I made some beaver last year and wasn't very impressed. Not bad... but I wouldn't say it was good either. Maybe it was the way I cooked it.

Grouse and good venison are hard to beat. And I think perch is even better than bluegill although both are delicious. I had some white bass a couple of years ago that was right up there, too.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My grandmother used to (pan) fry whole (dressed) squirrells in pork fat...

Probably not in the same league as a nicely-roasted grouse, but...there were never any leftovers on "squirrell" nights.

Maybe nostalgia is getting the better of me, but...it's the simple things, sometimes.

Top Bottom