• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    It seems like these seem to be similar guns and i was wondering if parts for a 500 would work on the maverick i.e. aftermarket stocks and such? Any of you guys have any experience with these?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Thank you. And are there any major differences in the two quality wise? It will be used as a home defense weapon only.

I have owned both and couldnt tell a difference in the quality. the 88 will be fine for what your gonna use it for..the 88 did seem a bit lighter compared to the synthetic 500...maybe that is where the price difference comes in,they may use cheaper plastic for the 88?:dunno:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I was under the impression that the forearm on the 88 is longer than on the 500? If you read some aftermarket stock info it you may find that it says "Not for Maverick 88", or "forearm will not fit Maverick 88". I have a Maverick 88 that I bought years ago, and I've not had any issues with it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The forearms are different between the two, but barrels and buttstocks are interchangeable.

The biggest difference between the 88 and 500, aside from the location and design of the safety, is that the 500s are assembled in CT from American-made parts, while the Mavericks are assembled in Eagle Pass, TX, from American and internationally sourced parts. Longstanding rumor is that the "internationally sourced" parts come from Mexico.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    ^ Exactly. I owned a Maverick 88 for years and loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another and mod it out for the purpose I bought it for.

drewdahler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I currently own a 500 and an 88..... i have the 88 fully tacticalized and the action in a bit different, but its definitely worth your money.... Their "cheap" and fun to shoot....

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I like my maverick 88. Its the security model with 20" full cyl barrel and 7 shot mag tube. I currently have an ATI topfolding stock on it. And I really like it. If I buy another shotty, I really want a 590 next time.

Top Bottom