• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am looking at getting a shotgun when I see one. Looking at the Mossberg 590A1 though I know Remington was the leader and I can buy used for about the same price. What pump would you be looking at. I want a 3" so it can shoot Tri-Ball or slugs. I grew up in Sothern Ohio and when back around home I have seen black bear so want a woods walking gun that DNR won't get upset about. I will be on mom's land so no hunting license needed though I won't be hunting. Where I grew up they don't like rifles in the woods when tree rodents are in season or deers. I like SxS but 9 rounds beats 2 hands down with bear. Lived in upstate NY during my Navy days and seen what a small black bear could take before dying. Seen one that took 6 rounds of .357's and 2 rounds of .30-06 before it dropped. Knocked down the guy that shot it with the .357.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Never used a 590 but have had several 500's which is a little lighter than a 590. I think the 590A1 uses the 8 round magazine which means you can only use the 20" barrel designed to fit the extra long magazine. I have a 500 with the 8 round magazine and 20" barrel for my main home defense firearm.

I have a couple standard 500's (6 shot) can use a variety of barrels for just about all of your needs. I have a 28" rib barrel with different chokes for small game, a 30" fixed full choke barrel for larger birds, a 24" rifled cantilever barrel for deer and an 18" open cylinder for defense.

Can't go wrong with a Mossberg pump.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Unless you can find an older Remington in good condition, like an 870 Wingmaster, I would stick to Mossberg. Have a Maverick 88 and 590 (not A1), both perfectly reliable, plenty of aftermarket support... could go on and on but this is all that needs to be said:
    Can't go wrong with a Mossberg pump.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You can't really go wrong with a 590, 500, or a Rem 870. In today's world, it'd be hard not to just buy any of the 3 should you come across one.

I think the 870 is more easily user configurable / customizable, however. Their barrel lug is always in the same place on their guns; making barrel swaps super easy. If my understanding is correct, on the M500 (maybe 590?), the position of the barrel lug is dependent upon the mag tube length. So if you found, say, a factory M500 with the long magazine (7 rds?) and 18" barrel, you'd have to be sure to get an appropriately-lugged bird barrel should you wish to swap. Hard for me to esplain in type. Sorry.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's a lot about the 590A1 that I like, but for me (a lefty), the thing that completely tips the scales is the tang mount safety; I hate the Remington design.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    You can't really go wrong with a 590, 500, or a Rem 870. In today's world, it'd be hard not to just buy any of the 3 should you come across one.

I think the 870 is more easily user configurable / customizable, however. Their barrel lug is always in the same place on their guns; making barrel swaps super easy. If my understanding is correct, on the M500 (maybe 590?), the position of the barrel lug is dependent upon the mag tube length. So if you found, say, a factory M500 with the long magazine (7 rds?) and 18" barrel, you'd have to be sure to get an appropriately-lugged bird barrel should you wish to swap. Hard for me to esplain in type. Sorry.
    that's correct, you have to match the barrels to the magazine tube length for Mossberg shotguns. You explained it just fine

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I picked this up about three weeks ago hadn't had a chance to shoot it yet
    Great choice! I wanted the one with ghost ring sights but it was never in stock so I picked the same one but with a fiber optic front sight. Love mine. Give us an update when you put some shells through her.

Welcome to INGO! :ingo:

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I picked this up about three weeks ago hadn't had a chance to shoot it yet
    I would love to have a 590A1, but ,with the exception of a bayonet lug, it wont do anything my 500's can't do. If I were in the market for a home defense only shotgun, I'd get a 590A1.....so I could mount an M7 bayonet......just in case 8 rounds of 00 buck doesn't get the job done:rockwoot:

oh yea....Welcome to INGO

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    many years ago when i bought my 1st house, i wanted a short barreled 12G for a "house gun" i picked up a winchester 1300 defender. over the years, it morphed into a competition gun. lots of bowling pins fell to it. ive used it in "tactical" shotgun and 2 gun matches.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I think my next one would be a mossberg thunder ranch 590. I really like those for the shorter lop, shorter barrel and just a plain bead style sight. The a1 in 20" is a heavy gun. Great gun though

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The only complaint I have with the 590A1 is the heavy profile barrel.
    You may see it as a benefit at first, but if you carry it much you'll begin to hate it. The metal trigger pack is nice, but the standard 590 model makes a lot more sense to me.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The only complaint I have with the 590A1 is the heavy profile barrel.
    You may see it as a benefit at first, but if you carry it much you'll begin to hate it. The metal trigger pack is nice, but the standard 590 model makes a lot more sense to me.

They had a Magpul special edition with fluted barrel that was just about perfect.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    /i would stay away from anything Remington from the last couple of years. all their steel seems badly coated or badly treated. I've seen cases upon cases of rust spotting and other issues

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Can you find extra barrels for the A1? Thinking a rifled barrel and a 28"-32" bird barrel. Anyone have the Retro 500 or 590? Are they worth the money?

Top Bottom