• ...and so much more!
  • andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't have much shotgun experience, but I like the top thumb safety on the 500 over the trigger guard safety on the 870. It might just be the more recent Remingtons that I've handled, but the safety seemed cheaper and harder to manipulate than the Mossbergs'.

Possibly of note - I saw today that Magpul has a new stock for the 870: http://bit.ly/xRYApS

Ap2HKh

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I'm an 870 man myself. Some members of my family who shoot extensively really love their mossbergs and I respect that. Myself I don't like the rattle or the location of the safety on the mossy 500's.

Handle both of them and then buy the one you want.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have both. I like both. My HD choice though is my 870. I have more time behind it then the Moss. I would trust both of them to get the job done though.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Mossberg, the rattle is what makes them depenable. Do ak's rattle? The safty is on top plus they hold 6 rounds ( at least mine does ). I' ve had one since I was a kid, never had any issues.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Mossberg 500 is the superior shotgun for man dropping. It's what the military use, and its what I use.

The military uses w 590A1, which is a completely different beast. Think 500 on steroids.

Both are great and work well. Personally, I prefer the Remington, although another 590A1 has recently been creeping back uo the list.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Possibly of note - I saw today that Magpul has a new stock for the 870: http://bit.ly/xRYApS

Ap2HKh
    Cool, thanks for the heads up.

It has a similar adjustable LOP like that on my favorite stock, Choate.

At first glance the comb is more of a "monte carlo" height meaning meant for use with optics, not good for a bead. But the literature says it has 3 cheek pieces for adjustable height. THAT could be cool. Use the stock with open sights, if you add an optic, raise the comb. Also good for hutnign guns with scopes. The grip looks sweet.

Even cooler, I saw a MOE forend for the 870. That will also be an easy no brianer for a cheap light mount. Add a $5 hunk of MOE rail and a light. The stock itself will be very light.

I need to go get one of those 870's out of the lake..........gonna have to build a Magpul shotgun!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Neither. For pump guns my choice is a Mossberg 590A1 SPX 9 shot, 20" heavy barrel, parkerized, ghost ring sights. Heavier barrel than the 500, magazine cap instead of sealed magazine (so you can clean it easier), and bayonet lug that accepts the same bayonets the M16 does. Plus you get an extra round of capacity. To some people a bayonet seems silly, but I think the one gun that oughta have a bayonet above all others is a shotgun.

It is my belief that the two best Special Purpose shotguns in existence are the 590A1 SPX and the 930SPX by Mossberg. Also, the 930SPX is advertised as a 7+1, but is actually a 7+1+1, as you can ghost load a round on the shell elevator. What other 9 shot semi auto do you know that has an 18.5" barrel and the compactness of a tubular magazine?
    50771.jpg

85360.jpg

Maybe back in the 90s. Pick up a new one. Plus, in the last 10 years, I've run across 3 870s that had such crappy sights you had to adjust the rear all the way to the left to get on paper, 2 that had serious fit/finish issues, and one that we had to beat the butt of the gun on the floor to get the bolt to open, while holding the bolt release and pump.

Remington quality control has gone downhill big time ever since Freedom group bought them. Same with Marlin, Bushmaster, and all the other companies Cerberus owns. All the while Mossberg quality, product line, and innovation continues to flourish.

You stole my thunder. I recently sold my Winchester 1300 defender to a friend and I wanted a replacement of like quality. I found the Mossy 590 A1 and fell in love. 2 weeks later I found the Mossy 930. I have them both and could not be happier. I have a few Remington's but no pumps just auto loaders.
    Get the Mossberg.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Odd how my opinion is in caps but yours is not. you wouldn't be trying a little spin would you? Here, I'll fix it for ya.

Thats your OPINION and I repect that....I disagree wholeheartedly....having owned numerous examples of BOTH Makes...In my OPINION the Remington is a better weapon and it doesnt rattle like an aerosol paint can. :D

There you go champ.:D

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Odd how my opinion is in caps but yours is not. you wouldn't be trying a little spin would you? Here, I'll fix it for ya.

There you go champ.:D

I had already fixed it, while you were so anxiously awaiting to repost....relax....they are OPINIONS....of which is the better weapon...again the old Ford and Chevy deal...noone ever wins and noone is ever right or wrong...

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I had already fixed it, while you were so anxiously awaiting to repost....relax....they are OPINIONS....of which is the better weapon...again the old Ford and Chevy deal...noone ever wins and noone is ever right or wrong...

So the remington is chevy then?:D

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Here's the thing about shotguns:

Most modern production shotguns will last their user a lifetime. Between the shotgun and the user, the user is the weak link. Go down to Ye Olde Gun Shoppe and fondle every shotgun you can find. Ask your buddies to let you try out their shotguns. If you have no friends - ask Steelman to try out his shotguns.

Once you find one that suits you - shoot the heck out of it! Clays, Steel, small game (in season) ..............the possibilities are endless.

I'm confident that once the pile of spent hulls reach your kneecaps - you'll have your answer.

Top Bottom