• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maperry2125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I recently purchased a used Mossberg 500 12 gauge and am wanting to turn it into a home defense gun. I would like to install a collapsible stock, rear pistol grip and a tactical foregrip. I have found some tactical conversion kits on amazon but most of them have mixed reviews for parts not fitting correctly. Any suggestions

:patriot:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Keep in mind the cost that you paid and the cost of the parts you want to install. It COULD be cheaper to sell the 500 you have and buy a new tactical model or buy a used tactical and some goodies.

I am in the same situation. I bought a like new 870 Express Mag last week with a 28 inch barrel, because the price was right. Not practical for HD outside of the bedroom, but I paid only $275. A new tactical 870 is about $450.

I plan to add a shorter 18 inch barrel ($115) and a 2 shot extension ($60) and have my total cost be close to $450 and have an excellent HD gun, but I will have two barrels, one for fight, one for fun. If I had bought a Tactical I would just have a single purpose gun for the same $450, and then still have to buy a barrel for fun shooting. So for me it works out financially to modify mine verses buying premade.

Last edited:

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    After spending the past few weeks trying to figure out how I wanted to set mine up I have come to a conclusion, simpler is better. Get an 18" bbl with a bead sight and a stock that fits you. I have a blackhawk nrs stock, a wood stock with raised check weld and I just tried a short stock. I'm thinking what will end up being the best is just a plain old stock. The only other thing I would suggest is to add a light if you want. Attachments look cool but in a HD situation the less you have to fumble with the better. IMO there are better guns for adding all that tacticool stuff to.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Word of advice. Pistol grip stocks are not my first choice for the 500. Reason being is the placement of the safety. You have to take your hand off the grip to disengage the safety. The 870 on the other hand has perfect safety placement for using a pistol grip stock. I have a 500 myself and I kept it simple. Bought a 18.5" barrel and added a slip on side saddle on the stock to hold 5 extra rounds. Not telling you how to set your shotgun up. Just keep things simple.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Word of advice. Pistol grip stocks are not my first choice for the 500. Reason being is the placement of the safety. You have to take your hand off the grip to disengage the safety. The 870 on the other hand has perfect safety placement for using a pistol grip stock. I have a 500 myself and I kept it simple. Bought a 18.5" barrel and added a slip on side saddle on the stock to hold 5 extra rounds. Not telling you how to set your shotgun up. Just keep things simple.

Good point on the safety. :yesway:

I would also add a good bright light on that shotgun, it's a must have for home defense IMO.
    More important than a bunch of "tactical crap".
    Just like U.S. Patriot said, keep things simple.
    Flashlight, something to hold extra ammo, maybe a sling and you are good to go.
    I see many home defense shotguns that have scopes, lasers and a bunch of other crap on them. :n00b:
    Who needs a scope to shoot across your living room?
    You dont even need sights on your gun for that.

Ccook1065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Good point on the safety. :yesway:

I would also add a good bright light on that shotgun, it's a must have for home defense IMO.
    More important than a bunch of "tactical crap".
    Just like U.S. Patriot said, keep things simple.
    Flashlight, something to hold extra ammo, maybe a sling and you are good to go.
    I see many home defense shotguns that have scopes, lasers and a bunch of other crap on them. :n00b:
    Who needs a scope to shoot across your living room?
    You dont even need sights on your gun for that.
    So much for getting that new laser sight for my 500.... :ar15:

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Why do you want a "tactical" shotgun for HD? Just chop the barrel off to 18 inches and leave it alone. Putting a black stock on it is not gonna make it any more deadly. Spend that money on some good ammo and practice with your shotgun, instead of wasting your money.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I have a regular Mossberg 500, I can handle it just fine in the house, and its loaded with double 00 buck with a slug behind them... anyone that comes in is going to have a very bad day.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why do you want a "tactical" shotgun for HD? Just chop the barrel off to 18 inches and leave it alone. Putting a black stock on it is not gonna make it any more deadly. Spend that money on some good ammo and practice with your shotgun, instead of wasting your money.

I agree.Too much "tactical crap" on your gun does not compensate for training and time at the range.
    If you want to chop the barrel off make it 18.5" just to be sure.

maperry2125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I think I am going to keep it simple with a 18.5"" barrel, light, buttstock shell holder and some range time. This is my first long gun and I think i got a little carried away looking at accessories.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I think I am going to keep it simple with a 18.5"" barrel, light, buttstock shell holder and some range time. This is my first long gun and I think i got a little carried away looking at accessories.

Good call. More range time, less toys, = more proficient shooter. Just get as familiar with the gun as possible that way if you ever need it in HD you are not fumbling trying to get it off safety or something.

I have a 500 and that was the biggest thing for me to get used to. I've always had Remy's and the safety on the 500 is completely different.

Top Bottom