• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shagge213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I was thinking about putting a heat shield on my mossberg 500 20 ga is it worth it and does anyone know of any good brands

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    There is no useful reason to put a heat shield on a shotgun. Some people think they look cool but they serve no practical purpose.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    There is no useful reason to put a heat shield on a shotgun. Some people think they look cool but they serve no practical purpose.

I agree. I've owned shotguns in the past that had heat shields and I couldn't tell that they were doing anything useful. They were a pain in the butt because I had to remove them to clean the gun.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    are heat shields "those shoulder mounted folding things":dunno::D

they really do serve no purpose unless your planning on firing hundreds of rounds per range trip..and even then they dont make that much of a difference. some people think they look cool...I guess.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    are heat shields "those shoulder mounted folding things":dunno::D

they really do serve no purpose unless your planning on firing hundreds of rounds per range trip..and even then they dont make that much of a difference. some people think they look cool...I guess.

No, they are metal or plastic covers for the barrel that are supposed to keep you from burning your hands on the hot barrel. Just google shotgun heat shield and go to images.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I just ordered on of those heat shields with the sights located on each end for my Mossberg 500. It was not expensive, so I will see if I get what I paid for or it actually is helpful. I read good things about it, but I will just have to wait and see and will try to report back. One of those is a lot less expensive than paying to have ghost rings mounted.

Top Bottom