• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    not necessary but they are nice. it just makes loading faster. instead of pushing rounds one by one into the mag u can push all 5 with one motion. they were designed for speed in combat.
    and if you use surplus ammo it makes storage a little easier once you rip open one of the ammo wrappers.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My 91/30 doesn't cooperate with me when using the stripper clips.

Might be me needing to practice or finesse them in better. Or it might need some material removed from the gun - I'm not willing to do that. So loading 5 rounds one at a time is really not a big deal anyway.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    My 91/30 doesn't cooperate with me when using the stripper clips.

Might be me needing to practice or finesse them in better. Or it might need some material removed from the gun - I'm not willing to do that. So loading 5 rounds one at a time is really not a big deal anyway.

does the clip not fit or is it a problem with feeding after you insert the rounds?
    remember you have to watch the rims on the 7.62x54R rounds because if the top rounds rim is seated behind the round under it it is a pain in the butt to load. this definately is a problem that can occur when loading from a stripper clip.
    you just have to take extra care putting the rounds in the clips

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    does the clip not fit or is it a problem with feeding after you insert the rounds?
    remember you have to watch the rims on the 7.62x54R rounds because if the top rounds rim is seated behind the round under it it is a pain in the butt to load. this definately is a problem that can occur when loading from a stripper clip.
    you just have to take extra care putting the rounds in the clips

Ha! I bet you're dead on.

I've not had a problem with 7.62x39mm for my VZ so I was expecting it to behave similar to those. But the x54R has the big honkin' rim (R for rim - doh!)

Should have been so obvious. Thanks evilkidsmeal! You're not so evil.

I have to go try this now. Right now.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Ha! I bet you're dead on.

I've not had a problem with 7.62x39mm for my VZ so I was expecting it to behave similar to those. But the x54R has the big honkin' rim (R for rim - doh!)

Should have been so obvious. Thanks evilkidsmeal! You're not so evil.

I have to go try this now. Right now.

if you've ever noticed when you try and work the bolt and your next round nose dives into the magazine then you have a rim caught behind the lower round. sometimes you can just slam it home, but sometimes you have to mess with the rounds and try and reseat them.
    they can be somewhat loose in the stripper clips, so if you seat them the right way, either rim edge to rim edge or one in front of the other in order then you shouldn't have a problem.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Not a necessity but are nice to have if you collect and shoot mosins a lot. There are also a lot repro strippers clips out there on the market that don't work a crap.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've tried repo stripper clips and the ones I got suck. They are more difficult to load than loading by hand. I did get one of them to work better by grinding a bit off of one corner, but then lost interest in fixing all of them that way. The biggest problem I had was that the clips just don't fit into the gun well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm guessing the stripper clips I have are repros, but mine are more trouble than they're worth. Out of the 10 I have I think only 1 seems to work properly. Maybe it's a break-in issue. :dunno: I think though, that if I ever get into a situation where I have to reload my Mosins quickly, then that will be the least of my worries. :):

fenderpbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Evansville
    Would the loaded stripper clips fit into a SKS bandolier? I don't now if the Mosin ammo is too big to fit the bandolier or not. I think it would be a good way to carry Mosin ammo.

Top Bottom