• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Are the $399.95 Mosin Snipers from SOG any good? I know they are not true snipers, but redone standard 91/30's. I sold my homemade 91/30 sniper and want another one. I miss it. A freaking blast to shoot. Pun intented.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    but then you still have to turn the bolt handle down... by the time you got done paying a gunsmith to turn down the bolt handle, and drill and tap for the scope mount, you would be a little bit ahead on price, but not by much... i would say wait until they go on sale and pick one up... i am very tempted myself, but well, the gunsmith work is free for me so there really isnt any benefit to buying one.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I had seen an ex-sniper at a gunshow for $125. The scope mount holes were plugged and it had a straight bolt handle. I had seen it too late and the guy ahead of me was looking at it. I told my son as soon as he walks away it's mine. At the point he was putting it down some guy walked up and said "Did you know that's an ex-sniper rifle" The guy picked it back up and bought it. It was in nice shape as well....ERRRR... At some point I will get one and then buy an erra correct scope. I may spend a little more but will have a correct configuration, nastalgic rifle. Besides a Mosin my other fav. military rifle is a Garand. Wooden WWII rifles are awesome!!!!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you liked your last one but want a scoped rifle you'll probably be happy. Right that you'd be in for more than $399 after paying a smith to turn the bolt handle, base & rings & even a cheap scope.

Nuggets aren't for me but you'd be hard pressed to get into any modern scoped rifle for $400, much less one as solid.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    but then you still have to turn the bolt handle down... by the time you got done paying a gunsmith to turn down the bolt handle, and drill and tap for the scope mount, you would be a little bit ahead on price, but not by much... i would say wait until they go on sale and pick one up... i am very tempted myself, but well, the gunsmith work is free for me so there really isnt any benefit to buying one.

Thats right.....I forgot about the bolt handle.......:n00b:

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    My old one was a standard 91/30. I bought the ATI bent bolt kit and mounted it myself. I worked in a machine shop at the time. Bought a butt pad and standard cheapo scope. It was nice, except didnt get the bolt holes straight for the scope mount. Didnt have enough adjustment left to get the scope sighted in. So basically the scope was useless. Eventually just took it off.
    I was just wondering if anybody owned a redone sniper and if they liked it. I know a "real" Mosin Sniper with factory bent bolt and scope goes for $700 and up.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Are the $399.95 Mosin Snipers from SOG any good? I know they are not true snipers, but redone standard 91/30's. I sold my homemade 91/30 sniper and want another one. I miss it. A freaking blast to shoot. Pun intented.

are the Mosin Snipers from SOG actual snipers? or just converted to a sniper?

IF they are real snipers w/ real sniper optics/bent bolts, then I would say they are worth the money.

$100 for an ex sniper (if you can find one)
    $250 for correct scope/mount
    $50 for bent bolt

then you still have to cut the stock and mount the scope. So in the long run, it will pay for itself.....

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    What is the deal with the bent bolt? can you not get some aftermarket mounts to mount a scope? I am clueless as to what make it a sniper?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You need the bent bolt to clear the scope. The straight out bolt will not be allowed to turn the required 90 degrees (pointing straight up) due to the scope in the way.

Similar to the way most all bolt guns are made today, with the bolt handle stick down and curving out a bit.

Top Bottom