• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deucemizer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    If you want an original looking pu sniper it's way cheaper to do it yourself than to buy one finished. For about $200 I bought a reporduction scope and mount. I put it on without goofing up my rifle, and I'm far from a machinist.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Love my Mosin, do yourself a $$$ favor and get a regular old 91/30. Add a Brass Stacker mount with a decent handgun scope, and you've got yourself all the rifle w/ glass you need for years of cheap fun and use.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Thinking really hard bout an MN pu

Anybody have any strong opinions about
    the mosin?

I have a modest collection of Mosins. As with many milsurp rifles... there are lots of poor condition bores out there (frosty and/or eroded chambers). It takes significant time and effort to find good ones, and I have come to the conclusion that a poor condition rifle is never satisfactory to me. So I have purged all the marginal condition ones and have only kept the best.

As far as PU snipers..... why do you want it? If you want historical coolness in a rifle that you can shoot - then it may be worth the money. If you think you will get a rifle that simply shoots cheap milsurp ammo accurately, then it may not be for you.

Only bonafide real PUs out there are from RGuns and very recently the Molot Snipers from both Aim and Classic (if I remember correctly). The rest out there are either re-snipered ex-snipers or simple 91/30s with the scopes added. Either of the "fakes" dramatically decreases the value as a collector gun. As far as accuracy - you will do much better with a cheap Walmart rifle than you will shooting milsurp in a PU sniper. Have to handload and have an excellent bore and learn to shoot the heavy trigger if you want accuracy out of a Mosin, and that is neither cheap nor easy - but it can be done.

Myself, I have difficulty taking mail-order potluck on a fairly expensive milsurp rifle and thus have never found the need to own a PU sniper - but that's just me.

My advice is to spend a few months researching on Gunboards before making a buying decision.

Best regards,

Les

Top Bottom