• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I've got a buddy that just picked up a 91/30, and when we go to chamber a round, it hangs up almost immediately. I can't tell if its hanging on the feedramp, which really doesn't look very rough, or what. Any ideas? Anyone have this issue?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    securedownload

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Check the tension on the magazine spring. Maybe it's worn.

This could be it. My M38 had a screw loose holding the spring to the floor plate. The result was it would not chamber the 5th round, but I suppose that it could also cause the round to be just a little to low to make the chamber.

From what you describe, it isn't chambering a round, indicating something is wrong. If it is chambering a round, and not extracting, clean the chamber really well with some solvent and a copper bore brush of the right size for the chamber (remember, it is a necked case, so you need something bigger than a .30 cal brush). The lacquer coated rounds leave deposites in the chamber, which can lead to a tight chamber and failure to extract.

Does it cycle fine unloaded (i.e. you can work the entire action without issue)?

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Wait a sec, let's make sure the "dumbass test" is covered first (term we use at work to make sure we didn't overlook something silly like making sure everything is plugged in before saying it's dead LOL).

That said, I have to ask... was it de-cosmolined yet? That nasty gack can screw up a lot of things if it's not thoroughly cleaned out of every last little bit. If the magazine parts are full of it, that could be an issue, too.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Check the tension on the magazine spring. Maybe it's worn.

+1, That's what's been wrong with my M38 for a little while now. Scutter01 diagnosed it when I was shooting with him the day after I bought it. Mine only hangs up on the last round fired, but functions perfectly with a little tweak. Eventually I'll probably have to replace it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Sorry, tried to post a pic up but it didn't take...wasn't that good of a pic, anyway.

Basically what seems to be happening is that the rim of the cartridge is getting stuck about 1/4 way into closing the bolt...I can't tell what the heck its hanging up on, I'll have to try and do some detail work with my camera.

Unloaded, it cycles fine. Dropping a round into the chamber and closing the bolt on it...fine, it extracts properly too. Its only when loading from the magazine that this happens, I just can't quite see what its hanging up on.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hmm....I don't have my Mosin here in front of me to compare to. Do you see any obvious shiney spots or burrs inside of the reciever that would indicate wear or metal to metal contact of any sort?

Also, can you confirm that the nose of the bullet and neck of the cartridge are making it into the chamber before it jams up?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    No obvious wear spots, and I can't positivly confirm that the bullet and neck are inside the chamber when it hangs...gotta find my flashlight! It appears, however, that the rim is hanging up on the top end of the magazine, just below the bolt. Perhaps some fine file work is in order....but I want to investigate further before I start removing metal.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Was thinking a bit more, can you remove the bolt, and chamber a round by hand, pushing it up from the magazine into the chamber? This fine touch feel might help you find out better whether it all of a sudden stops, or slowly gets tight and stops.

Top Bottom