• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    So, I've been reading up on Mosins, and I've decided I'm going to pop on one when I find one that calls out to me. Planning on a 91/30. Anyway, I've been looking at surplus ammo, and I found three different kinds that seem to be prevalent.

Firstly, I found 148gr FMJ Bulgarian ammo that is said to be in very good shape and is from the 70's. Berdan primed. Copper washed steel case, I think?

Secondly, 148gr FMJ Russian manufactured in the late 60's to early 80s. Berdan primed, steel case.

And thirdly, 148gr FMJ (bi-metal jacket) Russian lead core manufactured in the 40s and 50s. Berdan primed, steel case.

The first two appear to be very similarly priced. The lead core stuff seems to be somewhat cheaper... $15ish cheaper/crate(880)

Anyone have any insight to which ones I might have the best luck with. I was originally thinking the Bulgarian because it was supposedly in great condition, but then I got to thinking why not go with the cheapest (lead core)? Also, wouldn't the lead core be better for taking something down? The steel would penetrate better, but I don't foresee myself shooting through metal and whatnot, but then again, I don't plan on taking down an animal with the lead core either. I really just want it to be a low expense, big boy rifle. :rockwoot: It'll be the biggest cartridge gun I own, by a pretty large margin. I mean, I'm not afraid to pony up for the more expensive metal core cases, but I figured if I was as good or better off with the cheaper, then why not...

Also, I've been looking mostly at the-armory.com and sgammo.com? Are these reliable sites and/or are there any others with better prices?

Thanks!

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Youll just have to get a mosin and some of the different types of ammo to try out and see what that particular rifle likes the most. in the past month I have bought 1 can of russian surplus and a case (2 cans) of the bulgarian (Ive also purchased two more mosins :D) I forget what all the ammo I had previously was but my 91/30 doesnt seem to be too picky on what I feed it and I also dont just sit there and shoot at paper to see how tight of group I can get. I bought my ammo at www.targetsportsusa.com for the russian stuff, and www.aimsurplus.com for the bulgarian. Happy shooting either way!

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Sgammo probably has some of the best prices I have seen. Buy some, try it. If you don't like it, sell it in the classifieds for more than you've got in it.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I think the-armory is coming out ahead after shipping on everything I've tried. Most of it is cheaper before shipping too, at least that I see. Unless I'm missing something.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    What I look for is the NON-corrosive ammo. I have never run the corrosive stuff but from what I have read you have to absolutly clean your rifle right after shooting if you do. Smokeless powder and a bore snake has me spoiled.

Chris

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Yeah, it'd be nice to get non-corrosive, but I think for the money, I'm going to buy the corrosive stuff. The non-corrosive stuff is pricy

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What I look for is the NON-corrosive ammo. I have never run the corrosive stuff but from what I have read you have to absolutly clean your rifle right after shooting if you do. Smokeless powder and a bore snake has me spoiled.

Chris

You have never run corrosive ammo in your Mosin? :dunno:
    You do realize that ALL mosins had corrosive ammo shoot out of them during the wars right? Unless you have a replica Mosin (not sure if such a beast exist) why bother with NON-corrsive ammo? This rifle was designed to be stop with the corrosive stuff.

You should clean it afterwards but that is no big deal. Just run hot water into it, followed by WD-40 and then your normal cleaning method. All the mosins that were shot during the war (which we all have) got cleaned far fewer times then you and I are cleaning them and they got shot with the corrosive ammo.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yeah, it'd be nice to get non-corrosive, but I think for the money, I'm going to buy the corrosive stuff. The non-corrosive stuff is pricy

Yes it's all corrosive what you are seeing. The stuff from the 40s-70s. You can buy Cabela's steel cases brand which is non-corrosive but that is a LOT more expensive.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Just pick the cheapest you can find and clean your gun after you shoot the heck out of it and your shoulder can't take any more. That's what they were made for!

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County

Chris

Hoppes no 9 on a few patches will neutralize the salts in corrosive ammo. never once have I poured hot water or windex down the barrel. Hell I've even waited a day to clean before and nothing happened. People blow the whole corrosive ammo thing way out of proportion some times.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Hoppes no 9 on a few patches will neutralize the salts in corrosive ammo. never once have I poured hot water or windex down the barrel. Hell I've even waited a day to clean before and nothing happened. People blow the whole corrosive ammo thing way out of proportion some times.

I have never used corrosive ammo but I have seen bores of rifles that weren't taken care of and they were pitted pretty bad. I have no idea what it took to cause that kind of damage they could have never been cleaned for all I know. I just bought it for my nephew who wanted to shoot one and I thought it would be a inexpensive rifle for him to learn on. I have winchester brass cased ammo I picked up for $9 a box and some non- corrosive russian stuff that will work until I get him set up to relaod for it.

54rRus_1c.jpg

kruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Is anyone here intrested in loading your own? I have a supplier that has Lapua brass for around $40-50/100rd box. I will point you in that direction.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Buy the PPU or PRVI loaded rounds

You can get PPU or PRVI loaded rounds in brass cases from Cabelas for about $16/Box of 20 ($ 0.80/round). Then you have brass to reload.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    So, I've been reading up on Mosins, and I've decided I'm going to pop on one when I find one that calls out to me. Planning on a 91/30. Anyway, I've been looking at surplus ammo, and I found three different kinds that seem to be prevalent.

Firstly, I found 148gr FMJ Bulgarian ammo that is said to be in very good shape and is from the 70's. Berdan primed. Copper washed steel case, I think?

Secondly, 148gr FMJ Russian manufactured in the late 60's to early 80s. Berdan primed, steel case.

And thirdly, 148gr FMJ (bi-metal jacket) Russian lead core manufactured in the 40s and 50s. Berdan primed, steel case.

The first two appear to be very similarly priced. The lead core stuff seems to be somewhat cheaper... $15ish cheaper/crate(880)

Anyone have any insight to which ones I might have the best luck with. I was originally thinking the Bulgarian because it was supposedly in great condition, but then I got to thinking why not go with the cheapest (lead core)? Also, wouldn't the lead core be better for taking something down? The steel would penetrate better, but I don't foresee myself shooting through metal and whatnot, but then again, I don't plan on taking down an animal with the lead core either. I really just want it to be a low expense, big boy rifle. :rockwoot: It'll be the biggest cartridge gun I own, by a pretty large margin. I mean, I'm not afraid to pony up for the more expensive metal core cases, but I figured if I was as good or better off with the cheaper, then why not...

Also, I've been looking mostly at the-armory.com and sgammo.com? Are these reliable sites and/or are there any others with better prices?

Thanks!

Any of the 3 are o.k., your rifle will tell you what it likes best. As far as lead core vs. steel core as far as penetration and expansion, there will be little to no difference. The steel in the core is very soft and does not help penetration. And neither was designed to expand.

Actually the current recipe of Hoppe's (basically kerosene, ethanol, oleic acid, and ammonia) does nothing for corrosive primer residue. You are probably removing the residue by simple physical action of brushing and/or patching your bore. Even the old recipe didn't "neutralize" the salt. It dissolved and removed it. The primer residue is a salt, potassium chlorate to be exact. The absolute, bar none, best solvent for this particular salt is water. Add a bit of soap to help it get into the nooks and crannies, and heat to help it evaporate and there won't be any problem.
    Yes, I agree that corrosive primers are made out to be a bigger problem than they are, a lot I think is due to laziness, plain an simple. People are used to cleaning their firearms when they "get around to it", can't do that with corrosive. A day may or may not hurt but that day becomes a week, the week becomes a month, and before you know it the bore looks like a sewer pipe. Using water it is an additional minute or two and one more step than just cleaning for regular ammo.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I have never used corrosive ammo but I have seen bores of rifles that weren't taken care of and they were pitted pretty bad. I have no idea what it took to cause that kind of damage they could have never been cleaned for all I know. I just bought it for my nephew who wanted to shoot one and I thought it would be a inexpensive rifle for him to learn on. I have winchester brass cased ammo I picked up for $9 a box and some non- corrosive russian stuff that will work until I get him set up to relaod for it.

These rifles are battle rifles. They were used in some of the worst combat in the history of mankind. Soviet soldiers were trained to take care of their rifles, and unlike the U.S. and British armies, where a dirty rifle might get a butt chewing or k.p., neglect of your equipment and rifle was a quick trip to a penal battalion. Quite possible a rifle with a bad bore could have laid on a battlefield or in a ruined city for months before there was an opportunity to recover it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive never had any trouble out of the surp stuff. Ive shot some of the Non-Corrosive Silver Bear that shot very well. An Wolf brand shoots very well but is hard to find it seems like. I plan on loading some of my own when I get some brass built up. Privi even makes a "Match" grade load, havent shot any of that, but I have shot some of there FMJ and it was very accurate for a factory load. Either way stock up, cause Mosins are hungry!

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    In both of my 91/30's, the 60's-80's russian from the-armory shoots noticeably better than the 1971 bulgarian, even though the bulgarian was much more "fresher." I'm talking between 1-2" smaller groups at 100 yards (5 inch groups vs. 7 inch). They are both boat-tail bullets.

If you want the ammo to last for another 40 years, I would go for the bulgarian. But accuracy wise, definitely go for the russian. If you end up ordering the russian, let me know what dates you get. Mine were '65 and '69, and were ordered over thanksgiving.

I should note that mosins are very finnicky with ammo. I have one that loves the early style hollow tail bullet, and hates the boat tail bullet, while my other mosin is the exact opposite.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom