• ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Slashdot Science Story | Police Called Over 11-Year-Old's Science Project

Science project prompts SD school evacuation - SignOnSanDiego.com

11 year old Student makes motion detector out of Gatorade bottle and some electronics as a "personal science project". Brings it to school and shows it to some classmates.

School's vice principle thinks it's a bomb and calls police, school put on "lockdown".

Result: no charges filed but student's family told to "get counseling."

Question is: counseling for what?

"Violated school policies"? There's a school policy against showing science projects to and talking about them with their classmates?

We need a "smiley" of Uncle Sam rolling over in his grave. :xmad:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Luque said. He said fire officials also went to the student's home and checked the garage to make sure items there were neither harmful nor explosive.

The student will not be prosecuted, but authorities were recommending that he and his parents get counseling, the spokesman said. The student violated school policies, but there was no criminal intent, Luque said.

Jesus Christ, we're doomed.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Do believe I would have told the school officials to get counseling, and have my lawyer/brother in law reiterate to them that telling the press that my child needed counselling = defamation.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The school, which has about 440 students in grades 6 to 8 and emphasizes technology skills, was initially put on lockdown while authorities responded.

So in a school that EMPHASIZES tech skills I guess it's inappropriate to think freely and work on tech stuff. :faint:

Now I wonder if the kid told his teacher that he would be bring the project? Or if it was for show-n-tell? Miscommunication was probably the case here.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I like how they emphasize that police and fire won't seek to recover the cost of responding, but don't mention that it was a total waste of everyone's time because some jack-*** school official panicked. I think they should charge the school for wasting their time. It just keeps getting more stupid by the minute.:xmad: That poor kid!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Result: no charges filed but student's family told to "get counseling."

There are definitely some people in this story who need counseling. I don't think it's the kid or his family, though.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    This reminds me of the bomb scare in Boston with the Cartoon Network ads.

2007 Boston bomb scare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (yeah, I know, Wikipedia. Check the source articles if it makes you feel better.)

During the preliminary investigation at the site, the police found that the device shared "some characteristics with improvised explosive devices," with the notable absence of actual explosives. These characteristics included an identifiable power source, circuit board with exposed wiring, and electrical tape.
    If this quote is accurate I just spend a full week at work making IEDs.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    And we wonder why the products of these schools are becoming dumber by the day. The principal is ignorant so it's an 11 year old's fault. If I still had my old chemistry set I guess I would be in possession of bomb making supplies as it had fuels and oxidizers in it. 11 year olds are a threat, but 30 year old Muslim jihadis are A-OK. Oh, we aren't allowed to mention that, sorry. What a sick sad world we live in.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    To whom posted about the chemistry set comment.....

I had a real cool chemistry set in the early 1970's. I remember one day my Mom yelling in the basement, asking if she should call the fire department? I said, I'd just open the basement windows to let the smoke out.....10 years old

My parents even let me order refills and new chemicals for the kit. Mercury was one of the metals and sodium too. Sodium loves to dance on the surface of water. Uncle Matt new exactly what he was doing giving me that chemistry kit.

And the time I had to sand down the wood workbench from the accidents with fire, caustics and burning sulfur. No one ever noticed.

Anyone take a look at the current chemistry sets you can order......

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    To whom posted about the chemistry set comment.....

I had a real cool chemistry set in the early 1970's. I remember one day my Mom yelling in the basement, asking if she should call the fire department? I said, I'd just open the basement windows to let the smoke out.....10 years old

My parents even let me order refills and new chemicals for the kit. Mercury was one of the metals and sodium too. Sodium loves to dance on the surface of water. Uncle Matt new exactly what he was doing giving me that chemistry kit.

And the time I had to sand down the wood workbench from the accidents with fire, caustics and burning sulfur. No one ever noticed.

Anyone take a look at the current chemistry sets you can order......

My Mom noticed that I'd set my bed on fire, and threw my set out :(

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ya are all home grown terrorist! First chem sets and now guns! OMG!!! I have to report you all. I remember in grade school we got to take home small chem sets from school to work on our projects at home. Some fun times in the basement coughing and smoke everywhere. LOL!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Ya are all home grown terrorist! First chem sets and now guns! OMG!!! I have to report you all. I remember in grade school we got to take home small chem sets from school to work on our projects at home. Some fun times in the basement coughing and smoke everywhere. LOL!

I read a warning that said don't mix bleach and ammonia together. Then I read about dangerous chemical gases.

So after that, I knew the correct ratio of bleach, ammonia and a special chemical that had interesting properties. Years later, I used it to wipe out a bunch of rats......

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm pretty sure I'd be asking for a warrant before I let this panic from school spill over into my house.

Sorry rambone but no warrant is needed.

You see the student was working on a school project in the garage. As such the student is under the rules of the school. So that gives the school the right to search whatever and wherever the child is at.

Just like that kid that parked his truck OFF school property and had the rifle in the truck and STILL got expelled since he had a gun!
    :rolleyes:

YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY FREEDOMS ANYMORE RAMBONE!
    Now please step into the CHANGE bus so we can take you away for your CHANGE course.
    ;)

Top Bottom