• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    A new study coming from the Department of Environmental Health at the Harvard School of Public Health.

So far, the chemicals they suggest we protect our children from include:
    • Lead
    • Methylmercury - Often found in fish
    • Polychlorinated biphenyls - Wastes produced by production or disposal of electronic equipment
    • Arsenic - Also mostly from fish
    • Toluene - Often from exhaust or exposure to gasoline, laquers, etc.
    • Manganese - Welding fumes, some pesticides
    • Fluoride - Government drinking-water
    • Chlopyrifos - One of the most widely-used pesticides in agriculture
    • Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane - DDT
    • Tetrachloroethylene - Dry cleaning
    • Polybrominated diphenyl ethers - a flame retardant found in many building materials, electronics, and other things

Neurodevelopmental disabilities, including autism, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, dyslexia, and other cognitive impairments, affect millions of children worldwide, and some diagnoses seem to be increasing in frequency. Industrial chemicals that injure the developing brain are among the known causes for this rise in prevalence. In 2006, we did a systematic review and identified five industrial chemicals as developmental neurotoxicants: lead, methylmercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, arsenic, and toluene. Since 2006, epidemiological studies have documented six additional developmental neurotoxicants—manganese, fluoride, chlorpyrifos, dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, tetrachloroethylene, and the polybrominated diphenyl ethers. We postulate that even more neurotoxicants remain undiscovered. To control the pandemic of developmental neurotoxicity, we propose a global prevention strategy. Untested chemicals should not be presumed to be safe to brain development, and chemicals in existing use and all new chemicals must therefore be tested for developmental neurotoxicity. To coordinate these efforts and to accelerate translation of science into prevention, we propose the urgent formation of a new international clearinghouse.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Haven't we known about most all of these for a LONG time now?

Also interesting - look into how many deaths, world-wide, have been attributed to the bannination of DDT.

-J-

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Not their specific links to neurological development in children. Much of it is still denied. We're still spraying our food with them and filling our infant bottles with them, aren't we?

Also interesting - look into how many deaths, world-wide, have been attributed to the bannination of DDT.

I'm not suggesting any bans.

I'm suggesting that we be cautious about the chemicals that we expose our children to, especially during their developmental years. Developmental disorders have skyrocketed, and I don't believe for a moment that it is solely due to different diagnostic methods.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Toluene is great, high compression rocket fuel for piston engines. Lead is the foundation for nearly all of my shooting.:)

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy

my thoughts exactly. And my guess for the reason we still use it, it is cheaper, and lets admit it, the businesses that use these cheaper chemicals pay into the campaigns of those allowing them to use them

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    my thoughts exactly. And my guess for the reason we still use it, it is cheaper, and lets admit it, the businesses that use these cheaper chemicals pay into the campaigns of those allowing them to use them

I don't disagree with you, but as consumers we can choose not to expose our children to them.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have been a consumer of those chemicals and more for four score and one years.

Some people chain smoke for their entire lives and never get lung cancer. Most aren't that lucky.

There are obviously other variables at work. But more and more kids are developing these disorders and environmental factors such as these should give us cause for concern.

Top Bottom