• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    The TSA requires that when a handgun case is "locked" but unlatched, that the case can not be pulled open. My Walther PPS case has a spot for a lock on one side but can be pulled open even with the lock in place. Do you think I can drill two small holes on the opposite corner of the case in order to place a lock in said corner? That would prevent the case from being pulled open.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    That should work fine. Drill your holes and run a cable lock through it, and wrap the cable around the part of the pull handle that's inside the luggage.
    I did mine similar to this and had no problem. I also disassembled my gun into about 7 pieces and even put two pieces in a different location in my luggage, just in case a moron did get ahold of it! I know, a little paranoid, but I wanted to make sure if anything happened to my gun, at least they would have a real hard time using it!
    Got to the airport at my destination, got in my rental car, re-assembled it, and was good to go!

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Not familiar with the case (or your skills) but as long is it cannot be pulled open and is still structurally sound to where it won't fall apart you should be able to meet minimums. Remember it's there to protect you from theft as well as the public from it landing in the wrong hands as well as being tougher than the rest of the bags for the security theater, you're handing your gun to complete strangers, most of whom you won't see and expecting it to be there when you pickup exactly as you left it, and if for some reason someone needs to see inside they need to have you present, the harder you make it for them to "forget" "not know" or outright circumvent, ignore or violate those rules, the better the odds get of things going according to your plan. Find a case that you're going to be comfortable checking that firearm in, if you can modify the one you've got then great, if you modify and you still have doubts about it being secure, look at other options.
    I also disassembled my gun into about 7 pieces and even put two pieces in a different location in my luggage, just in case a moron did get ahold of it! I know, a little paranoid, but I wanted to make sure if anything happened to my gun, at least they would have a real hard time using it!
    I always at minimum separate the slide and frame, that way it's easier to show clear and if some ticket counter airline person or TSA agent wants to pick it up and wave it around to see if it's clear and sweep the whole terminal, there is at least no possibility of it being able to function or have some freak load fire procedure, and hopefully without the slide attached the frame on it's own won't scare all the sheep.

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    So this is how I ended up modifying my case. I had no problems at all flying to Arizona and back with it.

DSC00847.jpg

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Personally?

Drop the ducats to buy a good case like a Pelican or an SKB (poor man's Pelican).

Yeah, they cost a c-note. So did your .mp3 player. Deal with it.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Do NOT simply throw a locked handgun case into a suitcase. Put your handgun in your suitcase, then you can lock that and the TSA cannot enter it without your presence. Do not use a TSA approved lock. Do not give them your key or combo.

You can use the laws to your advantage.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Do NOT simply throw a locked handgun case into a suitcase. Put your handgun in your suitcase, then you can lock that and the TSA cannot enter it without your presence. Do not use a TSA approved lock. Do not give them your key or combo.

It does have to be a hardsided case. Hardsided suitcases aren't as common anymore, though still available. Also you would have to find one with suitable lock hasps on it. I know the old-school hardsides had locks on their latches, and they came open all the time, hence the straps they made to hold them shut.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    So this is how I ended up modifying my case. I had no problems at all flying to Arizona and back with it.

DSC00847.jpg
    That's fine, but what about someone taking the whole case out of your luggage? That's why I did mine with the cable lock secured to the interior frame of my luggage.

If that case was inside his suitcase, that's cricket, no?

"cricket"?:dunno:

Not only that but iirc, you MUST use a lock that they CAN NOT readily open! And of course, YOU must be the one to open the case IF they want to inspect it!

It does have to be a hardsided case. Hardsided suitcases aren't as common anymore, though still available. Also you would have to find one with suitable lock hasps on it. I know the old-school hardsides had locks on their latches, and they came open all the time, hence the straps they made to hold them shut.

I don't think it HAS to be hard sided. But, I could be wrong........ Yeah, I know :laugh: but it could happen!:D

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    A couple things from someone who has flown with handguns. If you are going to fly with a handgun case inside soft luggage, make sure the case can be secured to the luggage. You'd hate for the baggage handlers to "drop" your suitcase, discover a pistol case while repacking it, and then have them forget to put it back in, wouldn't you?

My recommendation is to fly with hardsided luggage. You will still need a small soft pistol case for your gun, but the advantage is that you can put your heavy duty non-TSA padlocks on the outside of your luggage. Then, it can only be opened in your presence. Do you have a nice folding knife in there? How about a laptop? See where I'm going with this?

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    what about someone taking the whole case out of your luggage?
    Exactly! You have zero protection from your firearm getting stolen. However, if you put your firearm in your suitcase without a separate case, the TSA cannot access your luggage without your presence! They will not be able to unlock it without you being there, then you lock it back up. You can protect all of your stuff this way. Use the laws to your advantage!

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    It does have to be a hardsided case.
    That is true. I have posted this multiple times, and I suppose I will post it multiple more times, but it bears repeating. If you are going to fly with firearms, watch this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjddG5Owsc[/ame]

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Exactly! You have zero protection from your firearm getting stolen. However, if you put your firearm in your suitcase without a separate case, the TSA cannot access your luggage without your presence! They will not be able to unlock it without you being there, then you lock it back up. You can protect all of your stuff this way. Use the laws to your advantage!

I am glad that I know this. That is very handy. Thank you sir. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom