• ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I dont know if this is the right place for this question, but its about pistols, so i guess this will work.
    What are the laws on modifing your own pistol?
    i am not sure there are any laws that say i cant modify without some sort of license, but i figured i would ask anyway.
    i am getting a yugo tokarev, and modifying the frame to accept 1911 grips. this will require welding. i just want to make sure big brother does not try and come down on me for it. if it works, i might start doing these in my spare time, so if i start selling them this way, then do i need an 07 ffl for that?
    it is kind of sad i have to ask these questions. i thought this country was founded on capitalism. maybe i am mistaken.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    AFAIK, there are no laws against modifying any type of firearms. The only way any of this would be illegal is if it got into NFA laws and even then ai'm not sure there's much that could make a pistol against NFA rules.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    There are definitely rules. Add a 2nd pistol grip to a pistol and the Feds will give you a free vacation to the pokey. I would contact the ATF and ask them.

loki.fish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I'm not a lawyer, but here's my internet professional opinion(s)

Don't put a forward grip on it or a stock, then it would be NFA AOW. Other than that, I don't know of any other laws you could break.

If you buy, modify, then resell, you'd probably need a FFL.

If you have people send their own to you to modify, you'd probably need an FFL as well.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Call the ATF and ask 5 different agents and you'll get 5 different answers, none of which mean jack poop in a court of law.

The only reason to call them is to ask if they finally got your tax stamp paperwork done.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    There are definitely rules. Add a 2nd pistol grip to a pistol and the Feds will give you a free vacation to the pokey. I would contact the ATF and ask them.

I don't understand why, mind giving me a quick "this is because..."

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    ok, having read that, i understand that they say its a no go, but why is it a big deal. Perhaps im having a dumb moment here, Please forgive my ignorance.

To tell you the truth, I don't question these things anymore. I just do what they say and don't go against the grain. I have no idea why they chose certain rules and regulations but, they just do. :D

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    thanks guys, I feel a bit better about my ignorance. I just can't see how an extra grip can cause a gun to be come more deadly?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    thanks guys, I feel a bit better about my ignorance. I just can't see how an extra grip can cause a gun to be come more deadly?

It doesn't. The ATF is just full of moron bureaucrat hacks that can't read the statute as written or the cases that they've already lost on the matter.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair

The basic rule is you can't turn a firearm that was designed to be a pistol and make it into a rifle (two grips). You can't turn a rifle into a pistol either (cutting the stock and barrel). It has to be manufactured that way. Otherwise you have to find the ATF rulings like posted earlier and do exactly what they tell you.

This isn't logic, this is our government at work.

Call the ATF and ask 5 different agents and you'll get 5 different answers, none of which mean jack poop in a court of law.

That is why I said contact them (by writing I should have specified) and not call them. You get everything in writing to CYA.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    ok, having read that, i understand that they say its a no go, but why is it a big deal. Perhaps im having a dumb moment here, Please forgive my ignorance.

Why is the speed limit 55mph on major highways when it's 70mph on major highways in the UK?

The why is because our laws aren't made with common sense or logic involved, they're made by people who have nothing better to do, and no real education on the topic.

Just remember, innocent until proven guilty. If you want to take the risks, that's your business, but a friendly reminder is that you never announce or show your business. A tree falling in the forest with no one around to hear it doesn't make a sound. (Or at least that's what quantum physics says.)

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Why is the speed limit 55mph on major highways when it's 70mph on major highways in the UK?

The why is because our laws aren't made with common sense or logic involved, they're made by people who have nothing better to do, and no real education on the topic.

Just remember, innocent until proven guilty. If you want to take the risks, that's your business, but a friendly reminder is that you never announce or show your business. A tree falling in the forest with no one around to hear it doesn't make a sound. (Or at least that's what quantum physics says.)

But the sound wave would in fact exist.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The basic rule is you can't turn a firearm that was designed to be a pistol and make it into a rifle (two grips).

Just to clarify, adding a foregrip to a pistol does not mean it's a "rifle". Adding a foregrip makes it an "AOW" (Any Other Weapon). Now, adding a stock to a pistol makes it an "SBR" (Short Barreled Rifle).

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The basic rule is you can't turn a firearm that was designed to be a pistol and make it into a rifle (two grips). You can't turn a rifle into a pistol either (cutting the stock and barrel). It has to be manufactured that way. Otherwise you have to find the ATF rulings like posted earlier and do exactly what they tell you.

This isn't logic, this is our government at work.

That is why I said contact them (by writing I should have specified) and not call them. You get everything in writing to CYA.

Doesn't matter if it's in writing. It has no legal authority at all.

Top Bottom