• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I am kind of wondering if any of you guys or gals have a modified mosin you are willing to show off. Anything from a new stock to total hacksaw and angle grinder stuff. I started mine with the intent to make a classy sporter but ended up going a completely different route. It now has a 16.75" barrel, bent bolt, and shortened ati scope rail. I also added about 1" of length of pull to the original stock by making a leather but pad. eventually i plan on adding a red dot (probably a trs-25) and an ati stock.
    IMG_4314_zpsf053b72f.jpg

IMG_4315_zpsad765cb6.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I would love to do one like that what kind of accuracy do you get? I have also wanted to pull the barrel and replace it with a 45/70 or .410 barrel but unfortunately i cant cut threads on my lathe so that idea is out. Anybody else out there want to show off their projects?

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Thats pretty cool fiero. I don't mind the Mosin, but most I've handled are what I would consider "open choke" and incapable of hitting the broad side of the barn. I'd love to get my hands on one of the modern production Molot ones with a chrome lined barrel.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I love the looks of the archangel stock if only it wasnt so dang expensive. I really like the idea of a 10rd mag but i have talked to several people who said it ended up being a single shot because the mags crapped out. Still pretty BA looking. I am probably going with an ati stock but havent decided for sure yet i might figure out a way to put a wood pistol grip on the current stock

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have the Archangel stock system and it made a huge difference. The first gen mags had some problems but current production works perfectly. They will replace the mags for free. There is a simple modification you can do to them if you don't want to send them in. Floating the barrel helped accuracy a lot. Overall I think it was worth the time and money. Mine is a 1942 Izzy.

iPhone 2368.jpgiPhone 2369.jpgiPhone 2370.jpg

Rat Bastard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2013
    Blairsville
    Here is a pic of my chopped up Mosin. It's sure to distress the purist elite, what with having cut up a limited edition rifle. (1 of only 30,000,000 ever made) I cut 10" off the barrel, recrowned it with an 11 degree Brownell's tool, and threaded it for a Vortex flash hider. I added a Rock Solid scope mount and bent bolt, and a 3-9 x 42 Redfield D-N-S scope. Then I hogged out the stock to accept a TImney trigger. I cherish that trigger; It's six kinds of fantastic. I chopped the stock of just ahead of the front sling slot, and milled a new slot for the front barrel band spring, and reshaped the ends to accept the metal end fittings. I had a local sign shop to make the Russian Hammer and Sickle graphics for the stock, just like the originals had. Or not. I like to shoot it without the Vortex sometimes, since the 18-1/2" barrel has a hell of a flash which scares little kids and sissies.rifle.JPG I have another "Long Ranger" project in process, a full length one, with a Timney trigger and the new Rock Solid picatinny scope mount, as soon as they release it on the 25th of this month. I love these old rifles, they have brought me as much enjoyment as I can recall in quite some time.

Top Bottom