• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I've been doing some digging around looking at what's new in lubes recently. I have noticed that Mobile 1 (specifically 20w-50) keeps popping up on several of the sites I have recently visited. TONS of people note that it kicks "gun oils" butt basically. So I'm curious as to INGO member usage and experience. What do you say INGO?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've been doing some digging around looking at what's new in lubes recently. I have noticed that Mobile 1 (specifically 20w-50) keeps popping up on several of the sites I have recently visited. TONS of people note that it kicks "gun oils" butt basically. So I'm curious as to INGO member usage and experience. What do you say INGO?

That is what I use on my Glocks.

I save what is left from a 10/40 oil change and it's been working fine for 10yrs. You will save lots of $$.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have never used Mobile 1 on a handgun, but I've been using it on the bolts of my rifles for years. For me it works great and like 44 said it's free.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I use a blend of Mobil 1, synthetic ATF and STP on my guns. It also works well as a cleaner. The STP adds a bit of viscosity that keeps the lube from flowing too much.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Have used either Mobil 1 or Valvoline for awhile now. Any full synthetic oil will work the same. Once you try it, you will never use "gun oil" again. You can tell the difference, especially when racking the slide - almost like ball bearings instead of oiled friction fit parts moving.

Bucko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Indy South
    I don't normally use motor oil in my XDm that I carry everyday. I do however use motor oil in guns that are going to be stored long term.

I will try it in my carry gun and see how it goes.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Hmmmm, pretty interesting. I've got plenty of synthetic oil in the garage. Do you guys just use it on the internals or do you wipe the surface down with it too?

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I use a blend of Mobil 1, synthetic ATF and STP on my guns. It also works well as a cleaner. The STP adds a bit of viscosity that keeps the lube from flowing too much.

The Trans fluid has some detergents in it, which is probably helping it work as a cleaner. Personally, after smelling all of the above on a daily basis, I will stick to CLP, at least it smells different.:)

All kidding aside, I will have to try this. Should work forever, as synthetic oils are not supposed to break down like conventional ones do.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I use Mobil One and Kendall Synthetic Differential grease on everything. I also have a mix of 1/3 Mobil One, 1/3 ATF and 1/3 WD40 which I use as a homemade CLP. A quart of Mobil One or a tub of the grease will last forever. I am long ago done with paying $50.00 + a pint for "gun oil" ! :rockwoot:

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Hmmmm, pretty interesting. I've got plenty of synthetic oil in the garage. Do you guys just use it on the internals or do you wipe the surface down with it too?

One of the sites I was on, not sure which, maybe bobtheoilguy.com noted that automotive oils should not be used as a protectant, like during prolonged storage due to something in the oil that would allow oxidation to occur. Who knows, there are so many opinions out there:dunno:

One of them also stated that they used synthetic auto oil for lube but used Eezox for it's superior corrosion resistance. Doesn't sound like a bad way to go. I'm already an Eezox fan.

HUFFMANWG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    VA.
    gun oil

growing up all i new was 3in1 oil. that is what dad had an used. use hoppe's now, think i give mobil a try.:patriot:

Top Bottom