• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Nice thing about Shrine gun raffles. If they pull your name from the prize hopper, they put it back in after your name is announced. You have a chance to win more than one gun on the same ticket. It could turn out nice for someone.:)

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Good luck all on the raffle.

Mizpah is an odd name for a shrine since Mizpah is based on distrust and is a curse against another person. The sentiment "Mizpah" is not good. Not good at all. It is a covenant between people who don't trust each other.

+++++

I don't think this violates a strict reading of INGO rules, but if it does I will gladly delete this part.

Remember the story. Jacob wanted to marry Rachel and agreed to work for Laban for seven years for her hand. After that time Laban tricked him and gave him Leah. So Jacob worked another seven years for Rachel. Then after he has 10 or 12 kids with his wives and their maidservants, he wants to leave and asks Laban for some of his flock as payment. Laban doesn't want him to go, but he agrees. Then in secret Laban sends the part of the flock that he agreed to give to Jacob away with his sons. So Jacob continues to work for Laban, but as new sheep, etc. are born he keeps "his" separate. (They were identified as being spotted, streaked, or dark, not pure white).

After a time Jacob gathers his flock and family and leaves in secret. It takes Laban a week to catch up to him and they have this big show down in front of everybody. Jacob accuses Laban of not ever treating him fairly with wages and cheating him every which way during his 20 years of faithful service. Laban accuses Jacob of running off with his daughters, children, flocks, and idols. (Rachel had stolen the idols).

So they decide to make a covenant. They erect a pile of stones to commemorate the agreement. The Mizpah. These two men who could not trust each other farther than they could throw a '53 Buick make an agreement before God. God was to be their witness because they would not be around to make sure each kept his end of the bargain.

Laban said, "This heap is a witness between you and me today...May the LORD keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other. If you mistreat my daughters or if you take any wives besides my daughters, even though no one is with us, remember that God is a witness between you and me...Here is this heap, and here is this pillar I have set up between you and me. This heap is a witness, and this pillar is a witness, that I will not go past this heap to your side to harm you and that you will not go past this heap and pillar to my side to harm me. May the God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge between us."

The Mizpah oath is for God to watch each other to make sure each abides by his promises because they don't trust each other! It's a curse against the other person, that if he doesn't live up to his promise God will punish him.

How people ever came to think the Mizpah is some nice "may God watch over you" sentiment is beyond me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom