• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Heck ya it matters, he would have sucked a lot of good votes up from Ron Paul. I think Mitch was about the only candidate I would have been able to stomack, so with him out of the way.......WOOHOO Go RON PAUL:rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    How would have Mitch Daniels detracted from the vote count of Ron Paul?

Is not Johnson is the most direct competition for the 1% of the vote that will go to Ron Paul?:dunno:

Be fair, Ron Paul will get 3 to 5 percent of the vote but his supporters will storm the straw polls and caucuses and give him a lot of early primary hype that won't stick and he will again, prove himself unelectable nationally.

He is simply the wrong man to carry the Libertarian banner, even when he runs as a GOP candidate.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Too bad. I like Mitch Daniels and so do a lot of my hardcore democrat family members. They expressed interest in voting for him versus Obama, and I was pulling for him. Oh well. Now, unless the Republican Party can actually get a serious candidate and not a bunch of has-beens, Obama will be re-elected in a landslide, again. Thanks a lot Mrs. Daniels.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Though I like Gov Daniels, I'm actually glad he's decided not to run. It's been pretty obvious that his heart was not in it.
    Now, if Slick Mitt and Newt would realize they don't have the right stuff and bow out, it might clear the way for Constitutional candidate to step up and take center stage.
    Yeah, Im on the Ron Paul bandwagon

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Mitch Daniels was actually electable.
    Ron Paul is not electable.
    Sarah Palin is not electable.
    Michele Bachman is not electable.
    Newt has already proved he is so smart he's an idiot and needs to bow out.
    Mitt will keep trying, but we need to hope he makes no headway.
    Herman Cain probably can't raise the money needed to get name recognition.
    Governor Gary Johnson has many of the right positions but is totally unknown.
    Rick Santorum may gain traction, has many of the right positions but is so pro-life he'll get sacrificed by the media.
    Tim Palwenty may be our only hope (by default)? OMG! We are so screwed.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    A libertarian who proved himself as governor, not as respected as Mitch Daniels but this may be one to seriously consider as a possible dark horse who can actually win?

Gary Johnson 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBr8Rmas7Is&feature=player_embedded#at=195

I think Ron Pauls problem is the Republic party is not willing to back him, not we the people, but the party leaders
    No question that the GOP is not behind Ron Paul, but the reality is there are simply a lot of people who think Ron Paul is a kook and nutbag. Lots of people can get behind about 50% of what Ron Paul says, but simply can't get behind the other half of his libertarian message.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Mitch Daniels was actually electable.
    Ron Paul is not electable.
    Sarah Palin is not electable.
    Michele Bachman is not electable.
    Newt has already proved he is so smart he's an idiot and needs to bow out.
    Mitt will keep trying, but we need to hope he makes no headway.
    Herman Cain probably can't raise the money needed to get name recognition.
    Governor Gary Johnson has many of the right positions but is totally unknown.
    Rick Santorum may gain traction, has many of the right positions but is so pro-life he'll get sacrificed by the media.
    Tim Palwenty may be our only hope (by default)? OMG! We are so screwed.

We are still waiting for the candidate that will win to enter the race. I'm glad Mitch decided not to run, because he wasn't that guy.

Rick Perry would be an outstanding candidate.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I believe Gary Johnson is probably better for America than Rick Perry, but Perry has a much better national profile with greater name recognition.

Perry would probably be good if he is willing to tackle the national debt.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We are still waiting for the candidate that will win to enter the race. I'm glad Mitch decided not to run, because he wasn't that guy.

Rick Perry would be an outstanding candidate.

Rick Perry may be a good candidate from OUR perspective. But he's the governor of Texas and that won't be a good thing for the next 20 years, no matter how awesome the individual is.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I want Palin to run. I haven't decided if I'll back her, but I want her to run.

Can you image the heartburn that will give the progressives on both sides of the aisle? :D

We might even see a few progressives spontaneously implode from their angst and anger over her!

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I believe Gary Johnson is probably better for America than Rick Perry, but Perry has a much better national profile with greater name recognition.

Perry would probably be good if he is willing to tackle the national debt.

Gary Johnson has no profile. On paper he looks like a good candidate, up until you get to the whole drug thing. That's where he falls off the rails. No one's ever heard of him. He sounds a lot like Ron Paul (actually more articulate that Ron Paul, IMHO) but still seems to speak in elitist platitudes. Not entirely sold on him.

Rick Perry may be a good candidate from OUR perspective. But he's the governor of Texas and that won't be a good thing for the next 20 years, no matter how awesome the individual is.

By the time the next election rolls around America will be begging for another President from Texas. The difference between Bush and Perry is that Perry is a true conservative. Bush was a true globalist. I think Perry could deflect any comparison between the two.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Gary Johnson has no profile. On paper he looks like a good candidate, up until you get to the whole drug thing. That's where he falls off the rails. No one's ever heard of him. He sounds a lot like Ron Paul (actually more articulate that Ron Paul, IMHO) but still seems to speak in elitist platitudes. Not entirely sold on him.

But the drug thing may play out a little better to the public because of his arguments that marijuana should be legalized, regulated and taxed in much the same way that Alcohol is legal, regulated and taxed. He does not say that hard drugs should be legalized in the same way.

Clearly Johnson comes across more mainstream than Ron Paul, but both share the same basic Libertarian viewpoints. Anyone who supports Paul should be able to easily support Johnson as the more electable, less kooky, candidate who actually has executive experience.

I think Johnson's downfall will come with the social conservatives as he supports early term abortions.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    But the drug thing may play out a little better to the public because of his arguments that marijuana should be legalized, regulated and taxed in much the same way that Alcohol is legal, regulated and taxed. He does not say that hard drugs should be legalized in the same way.

Clearly Johnson comes across more mainstream than Ron Paul, but both share the same basic Libertarian viewpoints. Anyone who supports Paul should be able to easily support Johnson as the more electable, less kooky, candidate who actually has executive experience.

I think Johnson's downfall will come with the social conservatives as he supports early term abortions.

I agree on all points. However, his drug position (even just marijuana) will not be well received among Republican primary voters. He'll be painted soft on crime by both the left and the right. While a principled position, it won't be celebrated or rewarded at the polls.

Absolutely agree with you on Ron Paul. The best thing he could have done was throw his support behind a Gary Johnson candidacy. Instead Paul's relegated himself to eternal gadfly.

Top Bottom