• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Reason points out that Daniel's got a break back in college for having a load of dope on him. Somehow he managed to skate on a serious possession charge (with a likely added charge of intent to distribute, given the amount he had on hand). It would be nice if he'd give the same treatment to Hoosiers in similar circumstances. Have to wonder if this will come back to bite him in the primaries,(should he run), when he's running against the likes of Huckabee. It's pretty much a certainty that the dems would bring up his past "indiscretion".

Mitch Daniels' Disappearing Felony - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    But did he inhale? Everybody does dumb stuff when young and especially when around lots of other young people in college. The question is "Did he learn from it?" I think he has and as an adult has been a superior government leader and shown great common sense.

I read the article from Princeton and the author states that marijuana was not common in 1970. I don't know what 1970 he is referring to, but I was there and it was as common as beer and Vietnam.

I DO give him a pass.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    who cares. this is old news. people who are afraid of his good record try to bring this up as if it discredits his record. I wish the president would walk out of the white house smoking a big fat blunt. then maybe this country could move on and spend resources on real problems.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    It would be nice if he'd give the same treatment to Hoosiers in similar circumstances. Have to wonder if this will come back to bite him in the primaries,(should he run), when he's running against the likes of Huckabee. It's pretty much a certainty that the dems would bring up his past "indiscretion".

No doubt the dems will have a field day with this. Personally I judge Daniels by his record over the last 20-30 years not what he did 40 years ago. At that time he swore no oath to uphold the laws of the land. He certainly got off easy but that was the problem of the prosecutors and judge - not his. Why should he go easy on similar offenders now? Especially after he has sworn to uphold the law. Furthermore, I am sure Daniels does not review every drug bust and sentencing. I believe we have judges, prosecutors and the DA for that.
    Some who do not understand the meaning of the word will call Daniels a "hypocrite" - I call it growing up and hopefully gaining some wisdom along the way.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    No doubt the dems will have a field day with this. Personally I judge Daniels by his record over the last 20-30 years not what he did 40 years ago. At that time he swore no oath to uphold the laws of the land. He certainly got off easy but that was the problem of the prosecutors and judge - not his. Why should he go easy on similar offenders now? Especially after he has sworn to uphold the law. Furthermore, I am sure Daniels does not review every drug bust and sentencing. I believe we have judges, prosecutors and the DA for that.
    Some who do not understand the meaning of the word will call Daniels a "hypocrite" - I call it growing up and hopefully gaining some wisdom along the way.

Ah... but we live in the age of tearing others down. I guess It make some feel better about themselves. Other than that, bringing up something like this that happened decades ago serves no purpose. Especially when it has no bearing on the persons life after it.

I have two 19 year old "kids". I'll say here I smoked MORE dope/weed back in the day than most will ever see in their life. Does that have any bearing on what I've done with my life since? NO it does not. Am I a hypocrite for not wanting my kids to do drugs? No I am not, why would I want my kids to make the same stupid mistakes I did? It's called maturity/growing up. When you become a man, you put away childish things.

:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville

Wait.. so some people should get a break, and we should overlook it later...

But other people should not...

What? Should this be a crime, or not be a crime? Were his actions criminal, or an act not worthy of him being labeled a criminal?

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central

What? Should this be a crime, or not be a crime? Were his actions criminal, or an act not worthy of him being labeled a criminal?

He who is without sin throw the first stone. Judge the man for what the man does, not what a boy did.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010

I believe he WAS in fact caught, and sentenced via due process. So yes his actions were a crime - If you disagree with his sentence that's up to you. I happen to think he got off easy. However as the old adage goes 2 wrongs do not make a right... As such, other people should NOT get off so easy. He got lucky. Now is he a criminal? In my book a criminal is one who persists in crime. So as far as I know he is no longer a criminal. I suppose you could call him an ex-con though.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    He who is without sin throw the first stone. Judge the man for what the man does, not what a boy did.

So you are saying.. that it should not be a crime if a person is young?

I understand what you meant... I just do not think him getting off light handed while others feel the full weight of the book is justice.

The laws and punishments should apply to everyone equally. If we believe those that do drugs should suffer harsh consequences, we should not exclude anyone.

LSD and prescription drugs would not be anything close to a light punishment for anyone that is not well connected.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I won't judge him on it. Any rational, intelligent man knows smoking cannabis rates right up there with peeing in the shower. I will not however, cease to call him a hypocrite for supporting the War on some Drugs. Age has no bearing on the situation. Hell, if he becomes president he will join a very long list of presidnents who have smoked cannabis. They weren't hypocrites until Nixon came along.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010

I understand what you meant... I just do not think him getting off light handed while others feel the full weight of the book is justice.

The laws and punishments should apply to everyone equally. If we believe those that do drugs should suffer harsh consequences, we should not exclude anyone.

LSD and prescription drugs would not be anything close to a light punishment for anyone that is not well connected.

Yea - in a perfect worl justice will be doled out in equal measure to the crime in every instance and over all of time - unfortunately this is not the case. Also, how well connected was he back in 1970? Not at all - remember this happened 40 years ago. It's not like he was some senator's son...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I say it's a non-issue, but it would be great to see the judges rule as evenly as they do for their particular political party. I don't know anyone who hasn't needed a second chance, but when everything is politicized, the opportunity to allow self-correction and humility to play a role is lessened. What has he done since then? As noted above, did he learn a lesson?

Similar to the thread about the past-president of MADD getting a DUI. I would say she's deserving of a second change. If she were the current president, she would need to relinquish the post, but she would still be deserving of another chance.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central

Discretion, common sense, and judgment obviously must be considered. Everyone in government and law enforcement could use a little. Every cop uses his judgment of what is best for the person and society, so does the prosecutor and judge.

I think it worked out well for a young man at Princeton. He obviously learned and grew from his mistake. Which is exactly what a society wants and needs to happen. If the judiciary had made the determination that young Mr. Daniels would not learn and grow from his experience, then a harsher sentence would have been appropriate. I think they made the right decision.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I won't judge him on it. Any rational, intelligent man knows smoking cannabis rates right up there with peeing in the shower. I will not however, cease to call him a hypocrite for supporting the War on some Drugs. Age has no bearing on the situation. Hell, if he becomes president he will join a very long list of presidnents who have smoked cannabis. They weren't hypocrites until Nixon came along.

A hypocrite is a person who persists in a behavior while at the same time preaching the opposite. Daniels has not persisted in the behavior of drug use therefore he is not a hypocrite when he supports the war on drugs.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    A hypocrite is a person who persists in a behavior while at the same time preaching the opposite. Daniels has not persisted in the behavior of drug use therefore he is not a hypocrite when he supports the war on drugs.

How do know Mitch still doesn't enjoy a bong hit every now and again? Politicians have fought drug testing on themselves for a long time. Besides, its being couched as a youth thing. Does Mitch still want to lock up young people?

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    How do know Mitch still doesn't enjoy a bong hit every now and again? Politicians have fought drug testing on themselves for a long time.

Daniels used to work in the parmaceutical industry and they drug test all employees. However I do not know that he is clean. He has not been convicted of drug use in 40 years so I have to assume he is clean or I am judging someone without proof/cause/etc and in my opinion that would be wrong of me.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I believe he WAS in fact caught, and sentenced via due process. So yes his actions were a crime - If you disagree with his sentence that's up to you. I happen to think he got off easy. However as the old adage goes 2 wrongs do not make a right... As such, other people should NOT get off so easy. He got lucky. Now is he a criminal? In my book a criminal is one who persists in crime. So as far as I know he is no longer a criminal. I suppose you could call him an ex-con though.

Getting off light is one thing.

Getting off light after not pleaing guilty to the crime you committed, and then later wanting stiffer penalties than you were given for those that commit the same crime...

Is what?

I understand people grow up and change, and that people do crazy things in college. But, Mitch Daniels should understand this from experience, don't you think? He should be able to look back on his own life, and realize that if he were treated like a felon, that he would not have been able to be the productive member of society that he is.

I can overlook Mitch Daniels using, and selling drugs (he had alot...)... But standing for stiffer penalties for others... what?!

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Getting off light is one thing.

Getting off light after not pleaing guilty to the crime you committed, and then later wanting stiffer penalties than you were given for those that commit the same crime...

Is what?

I understand people grow up and change, and that people do crazy things in college. But, so should Mitch Daniels, don't you think? He should be able to look back on his own life, and realize that if he were treated like a felon, that he would not have been able to be the productive member of society that he is.

Personal experiences there Gunner?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom