Mine's smaller than yours. And I'm fine with it!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Now that I've hooked you in.... ;)

I've struggled with my accuracy ever since getting back into shooting in the last few years. I kept telling myself that I needed to carry at least a G26, because,well, you're nuts if you don't double IWB carry a brace of G19's in this day and age, right? Just read INGO! (whoo wee, lookee at what I started there!)

No matter what I tried, unless it was a j frame, each and every shot I fired from M&P's, Glocks, FNS's, you name it. Left. Usually not real low and left, but left at least.

Finally started taking a real look at handgun fit. Thought I'd figured it out before with shooting a M&P 9C, running the smallest backstrap, and things were much better. It wasn't until the last few days I paid attention to the recent bevy of handgun fit articles posted on FB by various people and such. Finally just decided to stop worrying about carrying a minimum round count for size and sought out a gun my super short stubby fingers could really wrap around and hold onto properly.

Picked up a LC9S Pro today. Came home, first mag all shots nicely centered on target. Hmm. Decided to bear down a bit. 4 shots in one hole (yes, yes, my home "range" is of the 7-10 yard variety, and I'm fine with it!).

Okay. I'll be the guy with a little single stack. Mine's smaller. But I'll make it work ;).

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    It's all about hitting where you are aiming, not just slinging lead.. Keep up the good work.. As you found out there's a lot to be said for finding a pistol that "fits" you.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The problem isn't YOU, it is the glock..... I don't know where Marshall Co., is but if you are ever in my neck of the woods, I'll let you shoot a S&W .....:laugh: .....

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There is certainly much to be said for a pistol that points naturally. And then some people also like Glocks (sound of pot being stirred)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not really unusual. I have witnessed people shoot small single stack guns better then the larger double stack cousins. great examples are the Shields vs the M&Pc or full size. I have seen several who shoot the shield better. I have also seen the opposite.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    No one, not even my personal favorite guy to watch, Jerry Miculek, is going to put 5 rounds on a shirt button in a real life combat situation.

Hits on target are better than rounds that miss. A miss 'counts' the same from .500 Magnum as it does from a pellet gun - failure.

Carry the gun that allows you to do that with 99.99%+ consistency. For some folks, maybe that's only one very specific gun. For others, maybe that can be accomplished with almost anything they pick up. Doesn't matter what 'they' are capable of, to you it only matters what accomplishes that for you.

The bad guy 'may' win, you MUST win. Make that choice yours, not his.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Dude ur crazy if not carrying at least a g26...

carry what you shoot the best and are comfortable with carrying. The most important part is making sure you carry all the time.

for me I shoot a few guns better than my 26 but is about an inch at 10 yards going to make a difference? I will take the 13 rounds over the 8 rounds all day for that little of a difference.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Some people just don't fit Glocks. I don't, and I've seen others that obviously don't.
    But they fit sigs, Rugers, Xdms and such.

James Yeager mocks such talk, citing 12 year old girls who shoot g19's just fine. My feeling is that the issue isn't glock size, but glock fit. To me, it is one of the least ergonomic grips imaginable, and I'm not surprised when people say they don't shoot them well. Can they be trained? Maybe. But why add another level of difficulty into the equation? Glocks are great for Glock folks. I went with a pistol that is not only better for me, but honestly, is just a better pistol. OP, I'm glad you found a pistol that works for you. May it serve you well.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    “It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce’s answer was, “Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot.” The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Of course there is the episode of Alvin York and his eight, but there is some dispute about that tale. (If you read it over very carefully you will see what I mean.) Be that as it may, I see no real need for a double column magazine. It is all the rage, of course, and like dual air bags, it is a popular current sales gimmick.” -- Jeff Cooper

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think it likely that as more citizens become armed we will find the bad guys adapting by transitioning to two (or more) 'man' teams. Since Jeff was talking about defensive pistols, and not just short barreled weapons, I would say if the need is to drop one assailant and perhaps engage another that this may not go as smoothely as one might like. The second target may be at an adverse angle and moving or moving to cover. If I might have to engage in a gunfight I would like as many rounds as I can reasonably have before the need to reload. Thus I carry double stack.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I've shot a lot of firearms. I have found that I hit what I am at, with my Bersa Thunder 380. I just don't shoot
    anything near as well as the Bersa. For me, number of rounds, power of the round ect., doesn't matter as much as
    HITTING WHAT I AIM AT. I load mine up with Corbon ammo, and feel secure.
    I am sure that what is right for me, is not right for everyone.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I sure wouldn't worry about the lesser capacity if you can hit what you aim at when shooting at 10 to 30 foot. Yep that's 10 yards maximum.

Those that worry about long range shots (25 yards or so) have yet to convince me how they could convince a Jury that they had to shoot someone 75 foot away in self defense. I have an old (1880's) large home, there is no way I could shoot a BG at a range more than 25 foot, unless I shot through a wall. I have been shooting handguns for over 60 years (be 74 in a couple weeks), I own calibers from 44 mag to 22lr, with most everything in between.

As to high capacity, might be a good thing if i were a police officer and had to be in the middle of gang fights or riots, but unlike them I can avoid places like that! For many years I carried a Colt Double Eagle in 45 ACP with an 8 round magazine. Due to back issues the size and weight of the gun was making it difficult to carry without pain. I now carry a Kimber Solo (9 mm, 5 round mag), in an IWB Galco holster at about 4 / 5 a clock, with Critical Duty ammo. For me (and my best friend, who also tried it out) this gun is extremely accurate, points instinctively and I feel very well armed. I am a fairly large guy, (6' 2", 235 lb) and my best friend is 6' 5" at about 320, neither of us have any issue with handling this small handgun.

Top Bottom