• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I'm trying to help a friend with her car and wondering if I can get some hints or suggestions from INGO mechanics.

She had a 99 Mercury Sable, V6. She had a new battery put installed in January. Late in February the problems started. After driving 20-25 blocks or so, the car would act as if it was running out of gas. It would sputter a bit, and she heard a small backfire. When the engine quit, the dash lights would go out, the battery light comes on, and the wipers do one cycle. Whatever happens completely drains the new battery, and it must be recharged to start the car again.

Just recently, she had the alternator replaced. The car has been taken to Auto Zone(?) where the battery and alternator were checked and said to be in good shape and working correctly.

Any ideas, hints, suggestions? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank!

rockola1971

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Over Here
    Ignition module gets hot internally then shorts and drains the battery. Car cranks but wont start immediately after the car first dies. By the time you get the car to a battery charger or jumpstarted the ignition module cools down and the internal short heals. (this will eventually be a permanent short and the module will never work again).

Or

Corroded battery terminals (battery wont properly get charged by alternator if there is a bad connection) or corroded/loose battery wire connection at starter solenoid or chassis ground.

Both of these will give the symptoms you described.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Does the battery always die when it stalls? Even after the battery change? I am asking because minus the dead battery, it sounds like a fuel filter might need to be changed/is clogged at least partially

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The wipers cycling points to a lack of good body/chassis ground. The negative cable is on the front side of the engine by the bell housing, where corrosion can get to it. Clean that up and clean up the other negative lead where it attaches to the body. I was not having problems as bad as yours, but a few little weird things were occuring and securing the body and the engine ground made them go away. All other troubleshooting will be hampered if these two points are not secure.

Top Bottom