• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Just wanted to give heads up that Menards has a sale going on for the Coleman 1lb propane cylinders 4 for $9 dollars that's 2.25 a piece. I know a lot of people use them so I wanted to get this out. Happy Thanksgiving!!! (Sale Ends 12/8)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Harbor Freight sells a gadget that allows you to refill the small cans from a 20 pound grill tank. I think it's like $10 or so. I have not used it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Harbor Freight sells a gadget that allows you to refill the small cans from a 20 pound grill tank. I think it's like $10 or so. I have not used it.
    the refill adapter for 1# tanks requires you to turn the bulk tank upside down to get them filled, the new OPD valve will shut off when you turn the tank over.. so now days the refill adapter does not work so well..

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    the refill adapter for 1# tanks requires you to turn the bulk tank upside down to get them filled, the new OPD valve will shut off when you turn the tank over.. so now days the refill adapter does not work so well..

Good to know, sss. I just bought a 20 pounder for that reason. Is there a work around?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    not anyway that I know of and still be with in DOT rules.. If you have a way to fill your own bulk tank you can fill one that does not have the OPD valve & use that..
    But a bulk suppier is not allowed to fill one that does not have the OPD valve anymore..
    With a completely full 20 # tank you might get 1 or 2 1 pounders filled .. because the liquid level is enough to cause the float to open up..
    Propane OPD - Overfill Prevention Device Cylinder Valves

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    sss, I found this here: Propane OPD - Overfill Prevention Device Cylinder Valves

OPD Valve Operation

Propane OPD valves operate inside the bottle and are activated as the liquid propane in the cylinder rises to a level that pushes a float upward stopping the flow of gas into the bottle. This action is similar to that of a float valve in a toilet; once the water in the bowl rises to a certain level, the flow of water stops. The OPD valve is only actuated during the filling process, not during operation. In other words, inverting a cylinder will cause an OPD float to actuate but it will not stop the flow of gas out of the cylinder. Why is this important to know? Because the OPD valve is not designed to restrict flow out of the cylinder, it's only designed to stop flow into the cylinder during the filling process. OPD equipped propane cylinders will allow liquid propane into gas lines and hoses if tipped over or inverted. Overfill Prevention Devices are not a safety mechanism used or actuated during cylinder usage.

Please know I'm not coming back at you, I really know nada. I recently bought an adapter and want to be able to use it. What am I missing?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    It may not be designed to stop the flow when the tank is, but it does.. or at least all 5 I have tried do..
    the float will "fall" into the closed position when the tank is tipped over. If your tank has an OPD valve that works when flipped, great you can fill your 1# tanks..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It may not be designed to stop the flow when the tank is, but it does.. or at least all 5 I have tried do..
    the float will "fall" into the closed position when the tank is tipped over. If your tank has an OPD valve that works when flipped, great you can fill your 1# tanks..

Does this mean I can quit saving all my used 1# cylinders for reuse?

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    Out of curiosity, what brand of tank are you using? Maybe it is brand specific like Blue Rhino's scam, I mean safety OPD that is proprietary to prevent refilling by competitors (for your safety, of course). It might be worth determining which brands are doing it and see if that seems to make a difference.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I am not in the propane business, but I do work for a refrigerant company. A lot of the cylinders and safeties are similar between the valves.

The safety valve that is on n LP tank is an overflow prevention device. It is not meant to keep gas from flowing out when it is tipped over. The valve in these tanks acts like a float valve on a toilet or a carburetor.

That being said, I can see where if the level of the tank was low, and the tank was turned over how the weight of the float might prevent gas from flowing out of the tank.

Top Bottom