• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Possums are pests. Little more than rats with big sharp teeth. It was heading to the chicken coop after I got the dog out of the way. If it had been on the other side of the fence, going away from our property, I don't think I would have shot it. Although I'm sure it would have been back.

I'm proud that I made the shot that I had to, while balancing a 2-D cell maglite and the rifle. Makes me want to mount a flashlight on the 10/22 to make it easier to handle at night. Even though we have a motion sensor light, it didn't click on because the possum was below it's field of view. So, I also see this as a learning experience for me, and possibly others.

It also reinforced for me that I need to practice with the rifles more. I grew up a city boy without any guns in the house, and without any male figures who hunted.

So for me, this was a big deal. We've got chickens, later we are getting goats, llamas, and possibly a few horses. One thing that has always been in the back of my mind is, am I capable of doing what needs done to protect the homestead.

I did what I had to do. I told it like it was, with some humor and wit (I hope.)

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My thoughts are this:

deadpossum.jpg

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    In response to the OP:

are-you-gonna-eat-that.jpg

Wow way to go! It must have required a ton of bravery to kill the possum intruder. No doubt he was going to serious harm you, your family, and your property. I mean, it had already upset your dog to the point where it was barking! And double way-to-go Woodsie: you killed seven babies with four shots (that's a two kill per shot average)!!! Your rounds-per-kill ratio is sweet (sic; it should be kills-per-round), just like in the video games!!!!

My point is that I can't understand why someone would be so proud about shooting a possum (especially a mother with babies) that they would need to post a story about it. I don't have any problem with shooting an animal or any kind if it is justified, and only the shooter will be able to determine at that moment if it is justified. But, these kinds of stories make me think that the animals were shot just for the sake of shooting at and killing something.

It was shot because it is a pest animal which competes with humans for food. It poses a threat to the safety of humans and human interests.

Sweet!!! Now politics are in added in too!!! Killing possum intruders/terrorists is definitely an awesome way to get all those damn liberals in that damn Bloomington to understand why we have and use guns, especially for justified killings (self defense even?) like these.

Some people don't understand that two can have a difference of opinion without being enemies. They think because they disagree with you on something, you are a member of an opposing group. It's a silly pack mentality. I'd ignore such people.

And again, to be (more) clear, I don't have any problem with anybody shooting any animal if they feel it is justified. But I do think it is strange how sometimes the stories get posted here and on other gun sites as if they are serious tactical victories and/or some sort of feat of heroism. For example, I grew up on a farm and shot or was present when several animals (raccoons, coyotes, etc.) were shot. Not once though did I/we consider as something to be proud of. Instead, it was an unfortunate but necessary task to take care of, and then move on to all the other work that needed to be done that day.

He was proud of completing a necessary task. He, unlike you, does not sympathize with the pest. It is an unfriendly animal which worsens the conditions of life for people. It is unworthy of empathy.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Another dead pest. Animals aren't people. They don't and shouldn't deserve rights, unless properly domesticated. Not to say people should go around killing everything in sight, but when they intrude and do damage to property, you did the right thing. Don't worry about what liberals think. If they love possums so damn much, they can make a sanctuary for them at their place.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    In Norsk's defense... the OP didn't say anything about the animal being a pest (other than making his dog bark at it). Unless you read the blog (which after reading the OP I wasn't particularly inclined to do) you would never know the animal was posing a problem. OP definitely sounded like someone bragging about using an animal as target practice, which is not what I would show off to anti-gun nuts.

We had opossums where I grew up... the worst thing they did was make the dogs bark and get in the trash if you didn't secure it. Definitely not worth killing them over.

Killing your chickens is a valid reason to exterminate them.

I also had never heard of an opossum tangling with a dog... and definitely not winning. They never messed with our dogs, even the little ones.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I grew up on a farm...and dad taught us to:

1. Kill groundhogs because they dig holes in the dirt and break your tractors.
    2. Kill possums because they kill chickens, quail, etc...anything that is healthy to eat and profitable.
    3. Kill raccoons because they eat crops and mess with gardens.
    4. Kill rabbits, squirrels, chickens, sheep, and cows because they taste good.

One time I nailed a large 'coon with my car and knocked it helter-skelter into a ditch. Not wanting to think an animal suffered needlessly, I went back to make sure it was dead. It was not. It had a broken leg (or 2) but still put effort into coming after me. I shot it with a .357mag and it rolled back over and came after me again. It kinda scared me and I figured if it was that game (tough) I was just going to let him win. I got back in my car and left. :scared:

I once nailed five (5) possum(s) in one swoop with my truck. Momma and 4 chubbies were waddling across the road and, while I did have to swerve a bit to get them, I did manage to get all of them in one pass. Opportunities like that don't pass one's way very often in life. :yesway:

Anyone who wishes to contact PETA for me, please remind them that PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Amimals. Please be sure to use the terms 'kill' & 'grill' in the same sentence. Thank you very much! :D

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    Had a run-in w/ a opossum in the spring. Ugly little suckers are hard to kill, even while inside a trash can. Took 4 shots from my .22 jennings; turned out to be carryinq 7 babies in it's pouch, so my "rounds per kill" went way up. Trash can doesn't collect water like it used to, either.
    :yesway: THATS AWESOME

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    OP...sounds like they still haven't learned their lesson. I took one out earlier this spring. Amazingly ressiliant beasts, and usually don't go down with one shot.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/73346-insurgent_possum_eliminated.html

Like others have said the Opossum is considered a nuissance animal by the DNR and may be destroyed if it is causing damage to you property. On top of that, they are known to carry rabies and other diseases, so killing them before they tustle with your dog, cats, chickens, etc. is a wise move.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Jblomenberg16

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/73346-insurgent_possum_eliminated.html

1.) Thanks for the rep...love the PETA program...wish I had thought of it first.
    2.) Your insurgent story is well reviewed in the after action report...nothing more need be said.
    3.) Growing up on the farm, we never really had to worry about 'in or out' of season...except for deer. I think there was a couple of times we had to run out and get a deer tag real quick...so we would be 'legal'...at least after we had graduated college and had a legal address elsewhere...he he.
    4.) Love the verse...well said.

Top Bottom