• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Had my first kill last night. Not sure if this is the right place to put it. A possum got into the yard, our dog was barking at it, and trying to get closer to it. After getting the dog inside, the possum started heading towards our chicken coop. Who knows what mayhem it had in store.

You can read all about it at our blog...

I'll measure it off and post the round I used tomorrow.

Last edited:

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Had a run-in w/ a opossum in the spring. Ugly little suckers are hard to kill, even while inside a trash can. Took 4 shots from my .22 jennings; turned out to be carryinq 7 babies in it's pouch, so my "rounds per kill" went way up. Trash can doesn't collect water like it used to, either.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Wow way to go! It must have required a ton of bravery to kill the possum intruder. No doubt he was going to serious harm you, your family, and your property. I mean, it had already upset your dog to the point where it was barking! And double way-to-go Woodsie: you killed seven babies with four shots (that's a two kill per shot average)!!! Your rounds-per-kill ratio is sweet (sic; it should be kills-per-round), just like in the video games!!!!

My point is that I can't understand why someone would be so proud about shooting a possum (especially a mother with babies) that they would need to post a story about it. I don't have any problem with shooting an animal or any kind if it is justified, and only the shooter will be able to determine at that moment if it is justified. But, these kinds of stories make me think that the animals were shot just for the sake of shooting at and killing something.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    i really enjoyed reading that blog entry! great story. I kinda want to plaster it all over bloomington for liberals everywhere to enjoy! :)

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Wow way to go!

Sounds a whole lot less Liberal now doesn't it...

I have been stalking a Raccoon who has had 2 chicken dinners so far this week. Last night he tripped the motion light on the coup and split before I had a chance to line up a good shot.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Sweet!!! Now politics are in added in too!!! Killing possum intruders/terrorists is definitely an awesome way to get all those damn liberals in that damn Bloomington to understand why we have and use guns, especially for justified killings (self defense even?) like these.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Sweet!!! Now politics are in added in too!!! Killing possum intruders/terrorists is definitely an awesome way to get all those damn liberals in that damn Bloomington to understand why we have and use guns, especially for justified killings (self defense even?) like these.

I am fresh out of negative rep anybody wanna help a brother out??

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    im with norsk. if a animal is doing damage or like a coyote does damage kill away. but i dont see the point in killing just for a target to shoot at

Vette I have seen first hand what happens when a possum invades a dogs home and the two tangle. $1500 later and I still lost my best friend 7 months later. I see it as he was protecting his family and not just target shooting.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    liberals :dunno:. i bet the animal rights activists and gun grabers love to publish stories like this

"man runs out of house and opens fire on possum for no reason" sounds great

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Wow way to go! It must have required a ton of bravery to kill the possum intruder. No doubt he was going to serious harm you, your family, and your property. I mean, it had already upset your dog to the point where it was barking! And double way-to-go Woodsie: you killed seven babies with four shots (that's a two kill per shot average)!!! Your rounds-per-kill ratio is sweet (sic; it should be kills-per-round), just like in the video games!!!!

My point is that I can't understand why someone would be so proud about shooting a possum (especially a mother with babies) that they would need to post a story about it. I don't have any problem with shooting an animal or any kind if it is justified, and only the shooter will be able to determine at that moment if it is justified. But, these kinds of stories make me think that the animals were shot just for the sake of shooting at and killing something.

You should probably stay on the couch, in the city playing your video games.

I would explain life to you but I dont want you to wet yourself.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

im not sure what you are saying with this

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County

If you would go as far as to click the link in the OP you would see that he has chickens. So here is quick little summary for those who refuse to read:

Chickens feed families.

Possums eat chickens.

No chickens = no food

Possums must die. :ar15:

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    im not sure what you are saying with this
    I was just making a sarcastic response to N_K's post about wanting to 'plaster the story' all over Bloomington for the liberals to read. Because, you know, doing that would really help help change a lot of "liberals'" minds (this last sentence is sarcastic too).

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    And again, to be (more) clear, I don't have any problem with anybody shooting any animal if they feel it is justified. But I do think it is strange how sometimes the stories get posted here and on other gun sites as if they are serious tactical victories and/or some sort of feat of heroism. For example, I grew up on a farm and shot or was present when several animals (raccoons, coyotes, etc.) were shot. Not once though did I/we consider as something to be proud of. Instead, it was an unfortunate but necessary task to take care of, and then move on to all the other work that needed to be done that day.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Last night I killed a spider with my bare hands. No pics unfortunately.

Did he personally threaten you in any way? Why would you brutally murder such a creature?

In all seriousness, the OP has chickens. He is 100% justified in shooting a coon/possum/insert other ornery varmint on his property. We have chickens, and losing eggs or chickens to possums is a pain. We kill them anyway we can, whether it be gun, pitchfork, shovel, or 2x4.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Murders!!! Murders!!! I'm calling PETA and the PRES. I demand a full investigation on this matter by a new government agency which will need to hire at least 500 new employees. See how I'm creating new jobs. In the end I'm sure the investigation will find that the OP was justified, so I will then request that the courts get involved since I don't like this decision and put the full weight of the gov **cough* like ATF does *cough* to ensure that the OP is found guilty and FINE! Then I'll make sure PETA sues him as well for more $$$, have his LTCH revoked for being an improper perosn, and finally pass a new law that will make it a felony to commit such a crime in the name of being tough of criminals (ie. OP would have been criminzled in the process). Boy I should run for office!

Top Bottom