• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Hi All
    Im guessing alot of you received the same NRA email/postcard about your IN mayor being a part of this group. Im curious to know how your conversations went with your mayors when you challenged them to disassociate themselves with "Mayors Against Illegal Guns"?

My mayor said "I love guns;I was a police officer for many years,I'm just against illegal guns"
    He didnt want to hear my questions about national reciprocity,reform of the Bureau of Alcohol-Tobacco-Firearms and Explosives,regulating gun shows out of existence,repealing the Tihart Amendment,etc...

Ive read that several mayors have decided to quit. Congrats to those who put the pressure on them.

BTW,is it just me,or does that phrase "illegal gun" bother any of you?

" All of that said, nobody has ever clearly defined what constitutes an “illegal gun.” Perhaps it is because there really is no such thing, and the MAIG ringleaders know it. A firearm may be illegally possessed by some criminal.
    It may have been illegally altered for some criminal enterprise.
    It may have been illegally purchased by someone who could legally buy a gun, on behalf of some scumbag who could not.
    But when that gun left the factory, it was a legally-manufactured, highly-regulated and carefully inspected product that worked exactly as it was designed to work. The firearm does not determine its own destiny. It is an inanimate object as incapable of breaking the law as a hammer used to bludgeon someone."

Thoughts???

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I completely agree. they know the firearms they are speaking of are completely legal (as of today). Their goal is to make them illegal to be owned, and then be against them, and by extension against me and presumably you.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    The Brady bunch released an article about this.
    NRA’s Attacks On America’s Mayors Begin To Boomerang-- Brady Campaign Blog
    Apparently, National Rifle Association leaders thought they could bully the hundreds of mayors who have joined a coalition called Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
    It looks like the bully brought a boomerang to a political gunfight.
    The NRA sent postcards to its members around the country in typically hysterical fashion, calling the Mayors group every name but American. (Remember their literature last year against President Obama found to be “intentionally dishonest” and “pants on fire wrong” by PolitiFact? Same thing.)
    Yet America’s mayors, law enforcement officers and community voices — rather than ask the NRA how high they should jump — are telling NRA leaders to go jump in the lake.
    Just a few recent examples,
    • Mayor Richard Ward, of Hurst, Texas: “You can be for the rights of law-abiding gun owners but also for common-sense policies to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.”
    • Mayor Pat Gerard of Largo, Florida: “I have no intention of quitting…. Certainly, I support people’s rights to own guns. I’d like to keep our police officers safe while keeping guns out of the hands of the bad guys.”
    • Mayor Robert Romano of Vineland, New Jersey: “The NRA is not being truthful. They view this organization as a threat. And now they want to dismantle us.”
    • Pennsylvania State Police Commissioner Frank Pawlowski to Pennsylvania mayors: “As commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police, I want to thank you for stepping forth and speaking out concerning this important issue, and to pledge my support for your efforts as you advance an agenda for common-sense reforms to reduce access to illegal guns across Pennsylvania”
    • The Beaver County Times of Beaver, Pennsylvania: “Nobody in his right mind could oppose efforts to stem the flow of illegal guns into our communities, right? Well, we’ve never accused the National Rifle Association of being rational, have we?”
    • InForum of Fargo, North Dakota: “A hearty hallelujah! to Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker for telling the National Rifle Association to shove off.” Followed by this letter from a North Dakotan in agreement: “Anyway, hats off to Mayor Dennis Walaker. He has my support in standing up to the almighty NRA, which thinks it has power over everyone.”
    • The Republican of Springfield, Massachusetts: “The Republican has and will continue to support the rights of gun owners, but sometimes we wish the NRA would focus more on promoting marksmanship and gun safety instead of badgering small town mayors. We’ve been shooting a little high and right lately, and we could use the NRA’s help. But when it comes to politics, we can think for ourselves.”
    • Monica Yant Kinney of the Philadelphia Inquirer: “A funny thing happened amid all the fearmongering: Fourteen Pennsylvania mayors left the group, but 25 joined in spite of the pressure.”
    • UPDATE: This just in from the Orlando Sentinel: “The NRA has come out with guns blazing against the increasingly influential mayors’ group. It has waged a scandalous fear-mongering campaign to run mayors out of the coalition whose motives the NRA insists are nothing less than draconian gun control. However, the NRA is shooting with blanks.”
    The NRA, with no respect for local politics or sensibilities, seems to have barged their way into alienating a lot of people rather than changing minds.
    NRA’s political bomb is looking more like a boomerang every day.

I left the comment "What is an illegal gun?". Brady group deleted my comment. I just posted it again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have emailed and called (twice) Mayor Henry from Ft. Wayne in the last week. He won't return telephone calls or emails, nor will his assistant.

My next step is certified letters.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Mikey Bloomberg... the guy who hired private citizens to cross state lines, attempt to illegally purchase firearms, and in the process, interfered with ongoing FBI (or ATF?) investigations.

Let me say that again. He hired people to commit crimes across state lines. Would I be incorrect in calling that worthy of a charge of conspiracy to violate federal gun laws? So... when Plax Burris HAS to be convicted and serve his two years (making him a felon and therefore ineligible to own guns again lawfully) because it's clear that he broke the law and the law must be upheld... I suppose the double-standard applies because Burris may be wealthy, but is a pauper compared to Bloomers.

Elitism at it's finest. :rolleyes:

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    At times I wish that I could pull strings or ask favors to play outside the rules for a bit like Bloomberg did, but I would have to face myself in the mirror and I don't think that I am capable of selling my soul to the devil to be able to do it.

Top Bottom